2002 death query

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Ma-dotcom, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

As can be guessed, some of this family may still be living so must remain un-named.

How likely is it that a person's death notice in 2002, could be listed "known as" by only 1st two initials of his christian name & his surname.? giving same birth details as one born in same area of Kent.
    Listed in 2002 - [occupancy 2 yrs, no others mentioned] at same Dover address as family in 1939.
    Wouldn't some one have known his names? How would one go about finding a burial place? One sister is known of & I think the Mother was still living.

I seems to run out of puff with searches at this time of day & then post & run, but today I can stay about a bit longer.

2. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

It might be worth browsing the Government's Find a Will site for the years 2002/2003. If he had drawn up a Will the free search will give his date of death.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

Perhaps he was one of those people (like me!) who don't like to be called by their first name by anyone but their friends? So he was known locally as "Mr X". And the person who wrote the notice for the paper knew that.

Perhaps the notice-writer wanted to spend as little as possible so kept it short for the newspaper?

As for finding his burial-site ... Good Luck! Try the local crematorium?

Jane

Bonzo Dog, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Not found on Deceased online, nor in newspapers & of course the calendar of wills & probate doesn't go far enough. Your suggestion worth a look thanks David, it looks like I shall be very busy there.
    I rather feel he died away from known family & only an aquaintance was able to give a name of sorts. :(

Sis likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Jane, however I did notice several death listings for person giving just initials & surname. So the "known as" could well be some-one who knew him so even the reporting person.
    Finding burial cremation not so easy given the district is 'Thanet with Dover' ! may include a few spots.

Sis likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have no idea who you are enquiring about. However to test my theory I went to FS entered the surname Johnson, death between 2000-2010, Thanet, Dover and there were hundreds of them. Give them a try.

7. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Sue, I did so, he comes up as listed above in May 2002. Shall try first in Dover which is in rego' district with Thanet for some time. Was really enjoying finding more rellies in 'Thanet, Cliftonville etc, but not in this way. :(
    Can't give names of course but he did make me think of your ? G'Father & his work book. ;)

Sis likes this.
  8. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Because of the very common name both FinL and hubby are often called by the initials of their given names.

9. Ma-dotcom

In this case I rather think the Father's name was given as 2nd Christian name with a 'J' thrown in as 3rd Christian name.
    They lived in 1939 in 'River' a small part of Dover. Having a house name also threw searches out a bit.

Sis likes this.
  10. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

When a friend, Tom, died, his obituary gave his first name as Grumps. o_O

GrannyBarb and Sis like this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Oh dear, at least all of his friends would have recognised him. :

Sis likes this.