Adoption between 1850-1855 in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Adoption Pre 1924' started by Menika, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Menika

Menika Member

My 3x great grandparents, James and Ann Tuttle, adopted a girl sometime between 1850-1855. She appears in their household on the 1855 Massachusetts State Census, and it is specifically noted that she is adopted. In 1855, she was approximately 12 years of age, and her name was given as Harriet. She does not appear in the 1860 Census, when she would have been approximately 17. The 1855 census also states she was born in MA. I would dearly love to learn more about my aunt Harriet. Can someone help point me in a direction to uncover birth information, death information and marriage? Thank you!

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The Adoption of Children Act was passed in MA (the first State to do so ;) ) in 1851, so there should be some records somewhere - if she was adopted after 1851.

Do you have any clues as to which county in MA she was born in?

Menika likes this.
  3. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

They may be able to help you here:

http://www. sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcgen/genidx.htm

Menika and GrannyBarb like this.
  4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Ward 02, Charlestown, Middlesex, Massachusetts
    Image is available on FamilySearch.

Charlestown is now in Suffolk County (suburb of Boston). If we can find the probate records for that place and timeframe... don't see them on FS, will look around.

Menika, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  5. GrannyBarb

Menika, would James or Ann have siblings or other close family members to whom Harriet would belong? That might help narrow the search... or not.

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. GrannyBarb

Looking on NEHGS found nothing useful for Harriet Tuttle, aside from the 1855 Census above. James was b. in New Hampshire and Ann was b. in Maine. I found their Aug 24, 1833 marriage intention in Charlestown, she's Ann McElroy. It lists them as "both of Charlestown," so they would have both lived there awhile and met there, I guess.

Menika and Sis like this.
  7. GrannyBarb

NEHGS - Death record for James E Tuttle, age 18 years, 10 months, 10 days, single, Mason, son of James and Ann Tuttle, on Dec 15th 1854 from Consumption. :oops:

8. Menika

Menika Member

Jan,
    Unfortunately, no, I have no clues as to which county in MA she was born. I only have the state, and approximate year of birth as well as her name. Whew, thankfully she was adopted in MA! :)

GrannyBarb likes this.
  9. Menika

Menika Member

GrannyBarb: James definitely does have siblings that Harriet may belong to. But, I haven't truly researched them, so I'm not sure they ever left NH. Ann is another "Brick Wall".......... I have not been able to locate exact birth information for her, parents, brothers/sisters, anything of this nature.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  10. Menika

Menika Member

And, you'll also find a death record for Eliza Brackett Tuttle, daughter of James and Ann Tuttle, on June 28, 1854, from Consumption. They had another daughter, Lydia Ann Turner Tuttle, whom I believe may be a clue as to Ann's family's identity, but have yet to turn up anything using Turner as a surname. May be a close family friend, or in Eliza's case, the maiden name of a sister-in-law.

GrannyBarb likes this.