Alexander Robert Sutherland

Discussion in 'Non U.K. Forces' started by Peregrine, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Alexander served with the 2nd Mounted Rifles during the Boer War.

He seemingly stayed in the militia forces after the Boer War, mention is made in his service record of 23 years service. In 1914 he is listed on the electoral roll at Warragul Road Oakleigh as being of independent means.

I am somewhat confused with his World War 1 service record. He enlisted with the AIF on 1 Dec 1915 but he was appointed as a Captain for voyage only on 27 Nov 1915.
    His Captain appointment was terminated on 30 Mar 1916 and he was promoted as Major on 1 Apr 1916. Then the AWM embarkation roll lists him as embarking on RMS Morea on 30 May 1916. Whereas the NAA has him embarked on A7 Medic on 20 May 1916, although there is also mention of him embarking on the Morea as per the AWM record.

In addition, on his NAA service record at pages 58 and 76, it is stated that he returned to Australia on 3 Mar 1916 per H.S. Argyllshire ex Suez via England per HS Barambah.

So did he go twice and which ships did he embark upon? I am presuming the Morea for the May 1916 trip.

on 13 Sep 1916 in Irak (sic) he developed nausea and fever that turned into jaundice by 16 Sep and he was admitted to hospital at Basra on 17 Sep. By 20 Sep 1916 his heart was dilated with systolic bruit at apex. Eventually he returns to Australia on P&O boat 'Malwa' from Bombay to 3MD. And his appointment was terminated on 25 Apr 1917. Seems he ended up with what we would probably now call chronic fatigue.

I really would appreciate it if some other eyes had a look at his record for me just to check that I have it more or less correct. It was very confusing. Maybe there is another record I have missed for him somewhere?

I just found on Ancestry an Application for commission which I have not seen on his service record (so there must be other records I have not discovered on NAA). It states he was then a 'Contractor' (probably a builder like his father) and that he had 22 years with Victorian Rangers and Garrison Artillery and ??(bit hard to read).

I will have another look but if others could review his record at http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8097185 I would much appreciate another pair of eyes, confirming what I have concluded.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

There are two Alexander Robert Sutherland's. One born England the other Geelong. NOK Jessie or Frederika? OK Jessie!
    Not to mention my Alexander Sutherland. ;)

3. Peregrine

Yes, his nok was his wife Jessie née Crowther, parents Robert Sutherland and Agnes Josephine née Cashley, b 1872 in district of Batesford but probably at Leigh Road, now Bannockburn, d. 1950 at East Malvern.

He is my 1st cousin 3 times removed.

4. Peregrine

Sue, you will just have to stop sharing family names with me! Otherwise I will have to call you coz!:D

5. Archie's Mum

From what I can determine, he came back on the Argylshire from Suez on 3/3/16, home for two months then went back on the Morea 30/5/16. This is before he became quite ill.
    How does that sound?
    :D
    It looks like there are other records. Open but not digitised.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Peregrine

Yes I concur Sue, but wonder why AWM doesn't have the earlier embarkation. Nor does it have him on the Nominal Roll at all. Also wonder if he just went to supervise the troops on way over, hence the rank of Captain only for voyage.

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Oh no! I have Crowther as well. But from our Lismore, NSW lot. This just has to stop!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

That could be it. He was getting on in age as well.

9. Archie's Mum

The first embarkation is "Medic" 20/5/16. He enlisted on 1/12/15. This must be his first voyage.

10. Peregrine

Jessie Crowther was born at Kilmore, Victoria in 1872; her father, Thomas Haigh Crowther, was born at Shipley, Yorkshire about 1827. ;)

11. Peregrine

But he returned to AUS on 3 Mar 1916 on Argyllshire and then he embarked on Morea on 30 May 1916 only 10 days later after he was supposed to depart on the Medic. I think he was meant to leave for the second time on 20 May but was delayed or transferred to later departure for some reason. No idea when he first left for Suez. But just occurred thatI should look up his unit to see what they did.

12. Archie's Mum

Just noticed, page 5 on the edge, written sideways, right hand side 'Embarked Barambah 4/12/15'

Peregrine likes this.
  13. Peregrine

Fantastic eyes you must have. Well done

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Surprisingly I didn't see it when on my PC but when I got it up on my iPhone it stuck out like a sore thumb. Couldn't miss it.

Peregrine likes this.