1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ann Chilvers, Ann Chilvers and John Cole

Discussion in 'Norfolk' started by Sandra Parker, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Sandra Parker

Sandra Parker Well-Known Member

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    After a few months of 'other things' I'm back on the trail. Have been catching up with 1939 and in the process sorting out a few glaring errors, not the least of which is John Cole who married Ann Chilvers on 15 Apr 1828.
    Norfolk marriages Transcription John Cole Dickleburg
    Spouse Ann Chilvers
    Norfolk Record Office Archive reference PD 704/14 Page 25

My problem is that I don't know which Ann Chilvers. The Parish record shows witnesses as Mary White, who signed and John Cooper who made his mark. (Ann signed, John made his mark). Neither of those names seem to be involved with a particular Chilvers family. To add to it, I don't have any children on my tree yet, so can't get clues from there. Although on thinking, (a rather dangerous prospect these days) as they were cousins, living in the same village, that wouldn't be too much help.

Ann Chilvers 1 was the daughter of Thomas Chilvers and Sarah Brown, born Dickleburgh 21st June 1806, christened 11 September 1808.

Ann Chilvers 2 was the daughter of Charles Chilvers and Mary Lincoln, born Dickleburgh, 1807, christened 29th June 1813.

The 1841 census shows Ann as the wife of John Cole, so that's not much help.

Whichever one it was, her death was registered June 1844 (Depwade Vol 13 Page 23).

I'm sure the sleuth's at Top Dog can help sort me out!
    Sandra

2. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Could it be Ann2 ? There is a daughter Maryanne in 1841. Ann 2 's mother is Mary. In 1851 Maryanne and her sister are with their dad and a wife Elizabeth. There is a possible marriage registered in 1847 ( I think it was ..I accidentally logged out :oops: )

3. Sandra Parker

Duh!
    Thanks Half Hour. As a result of your reply I checked 1841 census. John, wife Ann, children Mary Ann and Susan AND Sarah Chilvers aged 79. Ann 1's mother was Sarah and she was about that right age (don't have actual DOB). Ann 1's father had died in 1829 so she was a widow.
    Am I making a quantum leap?
    If so, I can then add John's children to the right mother.
    Sandra

Half Hour likes this.
  4. Sandra Parker

Oh, I've really got myself in a whirl now!
    Seems like we've got multiple John Coles as well!
    My original John Cole and wife Ann at the Moor, Dickleburgh (with daughter Mary Ann born 1837) They were married in 1828. and were at The Moor, Dickleburgh in 1841 with son John and daughter Mary Ann

John Cole 1 married Maria Chatton 8 Nov 1831
    John Cole 1 born 1806 and wife Maria at The Street, Dickleburgh 1851. (plus 6 children, 1 grandchild)
    John Cole 1 born 1806 and wife Maria at The Street, Dickleburgh 1861. (plus 2 children)
    John Cole 1 born 1806 and wife Maria at The Street, Dickleburgh 1871(no children)
    John Cole 1 born 1806 Widower at Harleston Rd, Dickleburgh 1881. (plus daughter Mary Ann, Housekeeper)
    To add to it, John and Maria had a daughter Maria in 1838 and a daughter Mary in 1849, and their Mary Ann born in 1850!

John Cole 2 married Elizabeth Hambling 26 Nov 1846
    Archive reference PD 704/15 Page 25
    John Cole 2 born 1807 and wife Elizabeth, at The Moors Dickleburgh 1851(with daughter Mary Ann, born 1837)
    John Cole 2 born 1807 and wife Elizabeth, at The Moors Dickleburgh 1861
    John Cole 2 born 1807 and wife Elizabeth, at Coles Cottage, Dickleburgh 1871

So I've really got a bit lost now and am not really any closer to identifying the right Ann, which is really the only one I'm interested in directly.
    Sandra

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

So much in a pickle that your writing is shrinking. :(

6. Sandra Parker

Obviously it all starts with the brain! Hope there's not a hidden reason for it! Or the prediction for the future.
    There, now I feel better and better!

Chimp likes this.
  7. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Well... I am totally confused now as well! :eek: I think you need to go back in time to sort them all..I mean that literally.. Time travel and walk around knocking on some doors :D

GrannyBarb likes this.