Another Wall: William Henry Cook aka James Morris

Discussion in 'Mariners & Watermen' started by Henry Crun, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

Carrara, Gold Coast. Kirra from Monday 10th
    William is my partners Gt Grandfather, he was born on 8th May 1831 at Portsmouth, Hampshire. Baptised 7/8/1831 at St Thomas Parish, Portsmouth. He served in the Merchant Navy joining on 8/10/1847. In 1851 he became an Ordinary Seaman and in 1856 was a crew member of the "City of Bristol" Upon arrival in Sydney he jumped ship and subsequently changed his name to James Morris. He died on 12/11/1907 at Goulburn, NSW. His obituary has many inconsistences due to the fact of his desertion and his attempt to hide his real identity.
    We know that his parents were James Cook born c1803 d 17/2/1885 and Elizabeth Jane Cox b 3/7/1803 d 3rd qtr 1879 however we have not been able to verify any further ancestors of his father and only the names of his mothers parents from her christening John Cox & Rebecca.
    I have a birth for a James Cook to James Cook & Frances baptised 10/7/1803 at St Thomas Parish, Portsmouth. However, since I do not have a marriage cert for James & Elizabeth I do not know whether these are the right parents.
    James Cook b 1803 was a Pilot Mariner. I have copies of the census for 1841 to 1881
    At one stage it was thought that William may have chosen the name Morris as it may have been the maiden name of a grandmother but we can find no verification for that.
    Any suggestions as to where we might look next to break through this wall?

2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I too found the birth for James Cook to James & Frances bp 10/7/1803. However I also found this one James Cook bp 21/12/1803 St Thomas Portsmouth Parents Charles and Martha - so tread very carefully.

3. gillyflower

I found a marriage for a James Cook to Elizabeth Cox at Portsmouth - one at St Thomas, on two seperate dates one 22nd Jan 1822 ref no pg51 no 153.
    One on the 27th January 1822 at St Thomas, - sorry no father's name on either. I suspect they are the same person but I am not sure why the different date. Perhaps if you contacted Portsmouth Record office [I am sure if you use a search engine you will find a web address] they mat be able to help you.

4. gillyflower

On Ancestry there are quite a few family trees - and they all list James Cook's parents as - William Cook about 1774 at Basingstoke and his mother about 1778 also Basingstoke married 19th Feb 1799. How accurate thse are I have no idea -but - it may be a bit of a starting point for you.

5. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

These trees have all taken that info from one persons tree who has no proof of these parents. Sadly many people just copy info without having checked its validity

6. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

I believe the earlier date is the date of the banns.
    Yes looks like I will have to contact Portsmouth Record Office. Thanks

7. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

I did also see that one, however, based on the fact that in the majority of cases at least one son and one daughter were christened with the name of a parent and/or a grandparent I felt that it was unlikely that they were his parents. No child of James & Elizabeth was named Charles or Martha, however one was named James and one Frances. Not proof I know but at this stage it is all I have to go on. Maybe totally wrong of course.

8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Might be one of those cases where the baby was thought to be in danger of dying so had a quick partial baptism and then the baptism completed when the danger passed.

Although having said that, usually the first baptism would be held at the parent's home and classified as "Privately baptised", then when the danger passed the second part of the baptism would be at the Church and classified with comments such as "Introduced to the congregation". It could be that perhaps in your case Henry Crun that the rector wasn't a considerate/co-operative soul, something along the lines of "if you want a quick baptism bring it round to the church".

9. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

Thanks for your interest Findem but the date refers to the Marriage not a baptism:oops:

10. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

So I see, I really must read posts more carefully, der :rolleyes: :)

11. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Very rarely were father's names on marriage certificates pre 1837.

The marriage mentioned up thread was transcribed by 'Hampshire Genealogical Society', you could try contacting them but I doubt they will be able to supply a father's name. Sorry.

12. Henry Crun

Henry Crun New Member

Contacted the HGS and their reply agrees with my assumption that the parents of James b1803 are most likely James & Frances.
    There is a James Cook with wife Frances in the 1841 census and he is listed as Superannuated Coast Guard. Also it appears he was not born in Hampshire. He does not appear in the 1851 census and there is a death for James Cook 1849. HGS advise there is a Will for that James Cook, Southsea, Portsea, Hampshire, Mariner. Next step is to obtain a copy in the hope that will put a hole in this wall.;)

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.
  13. gillyflower

Pleased you seem to breaking down the wall ! good luck with your searches

14. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

Had a look for the Will on Ancestry but no luck - sorry :(

15. Greg Watson

Greg Watson New Member

William Henry Cook/ James Morris (son of James Cook and Elizabeth Jane Cox) was born Abt. 1831 in Portsmouth Hampshire Eng, and died 12 Nov 1907 in Goulburn NSW. He married Grace Best on 25 Dec 1862 in Maitland NSW, daughter of Joseph Best and Hannah Gillet.

More About William Henry Cook/ James Morris and Grace Best:
    Marriage: 25 Dec 1862, Maitland NSW.

Children of William Henry Cook/ James Morris and Grace Best are:
    Arthur H Morris, b. 1863, Maitland NSW, d. 1929, Manly NSW.
    +Florence Grace Morris, b. 1864, Maitland NSW, d. 1927, Ashfield NSW.
    Ada R Morris, b. 1867, Goulburn NSW, d. 1949.
    Albert W.C. Morris, b. 1869, Goulburn NSW, d. 1933, Marrickville NSW.
    Cecil Harvey B Morris, b. 1871, Goulburn NSW, d. 1954, Petersham NSW.
    Adelaide May Morris, b. 1873, Goulburn NSW, d. 1945, Goulburn NSW.
    Amy Morris, b. 1875, Goulburn NSW, d. 1953, Goulburn NSW.
    Louise M Morris, b. 1877, Goulburn NSW, d. 1957, Balmain NSW.
    Fredrick Howard Morris, b. 1880, Goulburn NSW, d. 20 Mar 1959, Norwa NSW.
    Nelly G M Morris, b. 1882, Goulburn NSW, d. 1936, Moss Vale NSW.

http://
    familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/e/v/Shirley--Elsie-Neville/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0059.html

I do have other heresay info from my Grand father Fredrick Howard Morris if you are interested. m 0412210979