Anyone up for a spot of detective work?

Discussion in 'Kent' started by Findem, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Made some more progress thanks to Free Reg.

Found the baptism of Isaac Tranter 1 Jan 1759 at West Bromwich, All Saints, Staffordshire plus four siblings.
    Isaac's parents are John Tranter and Sarah Finch who married 24 Dec 1752 at All Saint, West Bromwich.

Also found Isaac's wife Mary Tranter plus siblings, Mary was baptised 20 Apr 1766 at St Lawrence, Darlaston, Staffordshire the daughter of John and Mary Tranter.
    A little drama unfolded around John Tranter:-

St Lawrence, Darlaston, Staffordshire
    14 May 1755, banns for John Tranter and Mary Lawton.

Oct 1756, Banns for Mary Lawton and Samuel Simkin a Collier

15 May 1758 Mary Lawton married Samuel Simkin.

Mar 1761, banns for John Tranter and Mary Yates.

24 Mar 1761, John Tranter married Mary Yates.

So who jilted who! :rolleyes: :D

My guess is Samuel Simkin appeared on the scene and then Mary Lawton jilted poor old John Tranter.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Flook likes this.
  2. Findem

I haven't seen anything to suggest a military career but I haven't checked any military records, prior to having his occupation noted as a musician he was a Shoemaker.

3. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I am wondering if John Hoare was a musician, Looking through the children's baptism he is listed as such from 1822 - 1832, only in 1818 is he listed as a shoemaker, for Robert (bap 29/1/1818 - born 4/1/1818), a carpenter for John Robert (bap 29/11/1818 no dob given)
    and for Honour Maylett (13/12/1816 - born 19/10/1809) a collegeman - is she yours?

I did notice on the bap for Robert James 30/5/1832 the incumbent noted John is deceased, so the death we found is him.

4. Findem

Sorry MollyMay somehow I missed this post.

Honour Maylett (or Meylett) Hoare was found to be the daughter of another John and Sarah Hoare, thanks for mentioning them though.

There is no family lore to back up John Hoare being a musician but I'm accepting that he was at one stage as noted in the baptisms.

Very little Hoare family lore has been handed down and what was is wrong.

My mother in law told me that father in law had Irish blood, the only link with Ireland I've found is with his great grandfather Cornelius Vose, two of his great uncles and one great aunt were born in Ireland, County Armagh, the children of a British serving soldier.

Another relative was of the opinion father in law was of Italian extraction because "he gets brown so quickly in summer", I'll blame the Romans for that.

Yet another relative had him down as of Jewish extraction, lord only knows where they got that from, the only thing I can think of is that because F I L's father was named Isaac they thought there was a Jewish connection.

Thanks for mentioning them though.

MollyMay likes this.
  5. Findem

Sarah Tranter the wife of John Hoare.
    Thought I’d let you know what progress I’ve made with the Tranters.

Sarah’s parents are Isaac Tranter who married Mary Tranter 18 May 1789 at West Bromwich Staffs.

Isaac and Mary baptised 5 children (including Sarah), 1795 to 1806 all at St Thomas, Dudley, Worcestershire.

Isaac’s parents are I believe John Tranter and Sarah Finch who married 24 Dec 1752 West Bromwich.

John Tranter (c1727) and his wife Sarah bap 5 children (inc Isaac) 1754 to 1767, all at West Bromwich.

Have yet to find John Tranter (c1727)

Sarah Finch
    Sarah’s parents are I believe Thomas Finch and Martha Lea who married 26 Dec 1720 at All Saints, West Bromwich, Staffs,

Sarah Daughter of Thomas and Martha Finch baptised 22 May 1726 at St Chad, Lichfield, Staffs.

There was a Thomas Finch buried 17 Apr 1726 at Lichfield, no defining info given on Free Reg, that burial would explain why i couldn’t find any other children for Thomas and Martha after 1726 if the Thomas Finch buried is the right Thomas Finch.

Currently I’m facing a Finch brick wall for both Thomas Finch, Martha Lea and any other of their children, if there were any baptised between 1720 and 1726,

Where Tranters abound by the scores, probably hundreds, Finch in Staffs around the period I’m interest in, are rare in numbers, in the threatened species. In Essex, people with the Finch surname are “ten a penny” which doesn’t help me.

Mary Tranter the wife of Isaac Tranter, this is where I went charging ahead like a house on fire, I mentioned in post # 21 I'd found her, so I thought. :rolleyes:

I found Mary Tranter baptised 1766 at Darlaston Staffs, a good age to marry Isaac in 1789, Mary was one of nine children, eight baptised at Darlaston, the fourth child at Wolverhampton, Staffs.

Then I found the marriage of John Tranter to Mary Yates in 1732 at Darlaston, great I thought.

That family led me to Yates and Stokes families, then came the blow when I did a recap, yes I had checked that Mary Tranter didn’t marry in Darlaston, now where’s that burial check of Mary Tranter, idiot you didn’t do one.

I then found Mary daughter of John and Mary Tranter buried 11 Dec 1769 at Darlaston, no second daughter named Mary in evidence and Mary’s baptism was followed by seven brothers, she appears to have been the only female child born to the couple.

So I still have Isaac Tranter’s wife Mary Tranter to find.

I did a search for Mary Tra(u)nter baptisms 1706 to 1773 Staffs I found 15 in total from Free Reg and F S, for a start I cut out women aged 43 and older, they’ll be reserves. I am pretty confident that the children for Isaac 7Mary are correct as are those of John Tranter and Srah finch.

That left eight possibles, two ruled out from burials, I'm currently working on the others.

There are four Staffordshire Mary Tra(u)nters that I can’t check for burials on Free Reg, no coverage, two at Himley, one at Walsall and one at Kingswinford.

PS I haven't taken it for granted that any of the above are 100% right "because they are the only ones online", I will from time to time see what else there is.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    MollyMay likes this.
  6. Findem

I should have mentioned that I'm pretty confident that the children of Isaac and Mary Tranter are correct, also those of John Tranter and Sarah Finch.

If anyone spots a hole or an error in what I've stated please mention it no matter how small (or large). :)

MollyMay likes this.