"Big House" or similar, Wingrave, 1840s

Discussion in 'Buckinghamshire' started by Philippa, May 8, 2013.

1. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Does anyone know if there was a "Big House" in Wingrave before Hannah de Rothschild built Wingrave Manor in 1876? I've read as much as I can find about the area but pre-Rothschild the information is pretty general.

I'm looking for the name of someone in the area who would have been employing ag labs in the mid to late 1840's.

My thanks in anticipation,

Philippa

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you considered farms in the area? There are a number around Wingrave - even today.

3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I had, Jan, - thanks for the suggestion. I had great hopes of finding a Mr Tomlin who may have been such a person. My couple lived in Tomlins Cottage in 1841 and I'd looked for him for ages without success.

Today, after posting the question, I did another google search (isn't Mr Google a lovely person?) and found this at the National Archive in Kew:

Reference:
    PROB 11/1948/42
    Description:
    Will of William Minter Tomlin, Grazier of Wingrave , Buckinghamshire
    Date:
    17 June 1841

Without access to the will, I wonder if I'd be safe in "assuming" that he was the one? Seems a little coincidental to be otherwise, don't you think?

Philippa

4. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Vol. 3 of the Victoria County History of Buckinghamshire covers Wingrave. You can read it on the British History Online website here:

http://www.
    british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42598

One snippet I liked, though nothing to do with your query, was this one:

In 1759 Susanna Hannokes, an elderly woman of Wingrave, was accused of bewitching a neighbour's spinning-wheel. She was weighed against the church Bible, but outweighing it was honourably acquitted of the charge.

Half Hour likes this.
  5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Poor Susanna. I am wondering if they had a selection of bibles to use in the weighing so that they could "rig" the result but seem to be seen doing the right thing? Must admit these days it would take a huge bible to be heavier than yours truly!!! :rolleyes:

Will check out that link later tonight. Like the look of it. I find history fascinating (mostly) but the history of places involving my forebears is particularly so.

Philippa

Half Hour likes this.
  6. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Philippa..
    I figured I would be safe as well..... they'd need a block and tackle to move the Bible:rolleyes:

Philippa likes this.