1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRO documents

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by hugh thompson, Jul 3, 2013.

1. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Member

Looks like I'm the first to post in the Cornwall Forum.
    I’ve been searching the Cornwall Record Office Collections, Manorial Records and Personal Papers and this is one of the documents I am interested in, does anyone know if it is digitized yet, or how I might be able to view it without the expense of an airline ticket? The “notes on the Ley family” mentioned is all I was curious about as I’m trying to see if there is a connection between the Leys of Penzance/Madron and my lot from Mylor and St Ives.
    Thanks.
    Hugh.

AD567 Alexander Daniel, of Alverton (1599-1668) RefNo AD567/1
    Title Family coucher book, Alexander Daniel, of Alverton, 1599-1668
    Date 1597-1838
    Family coucher book, title page in hand of great-great-grandson of Alexander Daniel [? George Ley, junior] with inscription on Alexander's tomb and mentioning his seat of Larrigan, Madron. Calligraphic anagram pasted on second leaf by Richard Daniel, perhaps Alexander's son who died in 1710.............................................
    ...............these copies of letters. Mainly 1661 - 1667 (one 1646). Pages 322 - 368 Blank. Pages 369 - 380 'Brief Chronologicall observations of and for my own family, myself and friends', entries 1584 - 1715. Page 381 Notes on Ley family 1753 - 1833 entry of 1831 signed R H Bodilly. Page 386

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

The record office provide a copying service:

http://www.
    cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=14713

They should be able to advise you on whether the notes on the Ley family are suitable for copying, and (if so) which copying option to choose.

3. Barbara Wilkinson

Barbara Wilkinson Member

They are very helpful at the Cornwall Record Office too, Hugh ...

4. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Member

I don't know where my reply went to, maybe I hit the wrong button? anyway thanks to both of you for replying, I'll contact the CRO and see if I can just get the notes re the family.
    Thanks again Barbara and Huncamunca.
    Hugh.

5. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Active Member

Check the National Archives web pages as well.
    They may have additional papers of interest.

6. hugh thompson

hugh thompson Member

Thanks Dee Dee, I have found quite a few useful docs at the N A, one court case to do with the administration of several estates gave me three generations of my Ley family in the 1600's which was real handy as the PR's for Mylor of that era were destroyed in WW2.
    Thanks for the input.
    Hugh.