Diana Elliott of Beaminster

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Daughter of Robert and Elizabeth/Betty, bapt 25 Dec 1798 Beaminster

Married in 1839 to an older widower called Samuel White, a pork butcher, and I have found them both in Weymouth/Melcombe Regis in 1841 & 1851

Samuel died in 1855

I am trying to trace Diana after his death. I did find a death in Weymouth in 1885 for a woman of roughly the expected age called Dinah White. I did find a Deana/Dinah/Diana White in the 1861, 1871 & 1881 censuses in Melcombe Regis, but she is born c1800-1803 in Stoke Abbot(t)/Stoke Abbas -- she is a laundress/charwoman/in receipt of parish relief

the 1881 does say Stoke Abbot Beminster for place of birth, and Stoke Abbot is only about 2 miles from Beaminster, so it could be her ... I am however befuddled by the change in pob from Beaminster in 1851 to Stoke Abbot in 1861, and also that she is apparently married in 1881 (though I guess that is just a mistake as she is widowed on the others) :confused:

Guess I just need someone to hold my hand and tell me it is really her :rolleyes: Anyone willing?

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Seeing how rare the name Diana White is on the 61 - 81 census and the fact she is in the same place as she resided in 1841 & 51 I would bet that you have found your lady.
    Take it as hand held:D

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I am always surprised by how uncommon the name Diana seems to be in general

MollyMay likes this.
  4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I certainly get befuddled too over some census details. Place of birth seem so easy to us. But apparently it often changed - if a person wasn't sure where they were actually born - sometimes it was a guess - infuriating though. The name Dinah was certainly more popular than Diana. But it does seem like proof positive that this is your lady.

mugwortismy cat likes this.