1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did he emigrate to Canada?

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by The Artful Dodger, Dec 4, 2013.

1. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

It is interesting that the record Wendy found for Thomas Milton DENNEY's birth shows his mother as Lucinda LANE yet his marriage record shows his mother as Lucinda WILSON. As you say Colin, a bit of a dog's breakfast!

Janet

2. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Well-Known Member

Hi Janet.
    I am just about ready to call a halt on this family.

If it wasn't for bad luck with this group, I would have no luck at all

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Complicated families are nothing new.

You might get a situation, for example, where a single mother gets married, and her children (born before the marriage) are then sometimes be called by their stepfather's name and sometimes by the name under which they were born. Or a widow remarries, and her children may or may not change their name. There isn't necessarily a moment when they all decide to change their name: they may chop and change between their different names.

Aliases can persist for generations. The parish registers of my home town, Witney, contain several examples of these multi-generation double names, including 'Druce alias White' (or vice versa) and 'Humphreys alias Dyer'.

You just have to accept that these complications are part of family history. If you want a simple hobby, you're in the wrong place!

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom Well-Known Member

did we find a young Lucinda Lane? I wonder if her Mother remarried to a Mr Wilson & so caused the confusion in her Father's name?
    sorry Colin, other stuff clogging my receptors lately.
    ( I liked Lucinda Wilson re her Fathers name of Christopher but if it should be Charles ....then again errors of name have been made in certs before. Confused with spousal forename?)

5. Ma-dotcom

Did he confuse it with his own Mothers maiden name? (straw gathering)

6. The Artful Dodger

That is possible. We know his father was John and mother Ann[e], but where they were born or married is unknown [at present].

There doesn't appear to be a marriage [at least not yet found] for Lucinda - either Wilson or Lane - but the 1851 census where both Lucinda [with parents, Christopher and ? Wilson] are in Whitby, Ontario and the age of Lucinda fits, and while the age for Charles Dinney is out of whack, he was in Whitby, Ontario in 1851.

I also think that there may be a naming pattern for the 5 children born between 1855 and 1863.

Colin

7. The Artful Dodger

I agree 100% with what you say and as for a 'simple hobby' I sure as heck wouldn't be researching my family!!

But it would be nice if there was a branch that didn't give me more grey hair.

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

Well, I tell you all, that for the last few days I've been struggling with this family and rather than giving up, I'm still digging.

I'm starting from square one and am thinking that the 1851 census in Whitby may not be the wrong one after all.

Charles and Lucinda had 12 children - 6 sons and 6 daughters - all born between 1855 and 1880. The 1st was a daughter named Ann [named presumably after the mother of Charles Dinney]. She married Eli Snell on 16 Jun 1875 and they had 10 children. One of their children was given a 2nd name Lucinda.

The 2nd child of Charles and Lucinda was a daughter named Lucinda who I am still researching.

The 3rd was a son named John [presumably named after the father of Charles]. John married Robina Fanson on 19 October 1881and they had 9 children. Again, some of the children had 2nd given names that fitted the pattern.

The 4th was a daughter born about late 1860 or early 1861 who is on the 1861 census, but whose name I cannot read.

The 5th was a son named Charles Wilson [named presumably after Charles - the father - and Wilson - the maiden name of Lucinda. He is with the family in 1871 and 1881 but is awol after that

The 6th was a daughter named Sarah Jane who died of Consumption on 7 December 1881 aged 16 from which she had suffered for 4 months.

The 7th was a daughter named Catherine with parents in 1871 [aged 4] and awol after that.

The 8th was a son named William Henry - born 22 July 1870. His birth was registered with the mother's maiden name LANE. He is with his parents in both 1871 and 1881. There is a public tree that states he died in Minnesota USA on 18 September 1898, but this has yet to be confirmed.

The 9th was a son named Robert Wesley. He was the informant at the time of his mother's death. He gave the details of Lucinda's father as Charles WILSON, however, I think he may have been confused. I also have some concerns about his marriage and the birth registrations of his 3 daughters. These wil be part of another query later.

The 10th was a daughter named Mary Lauretta - born 23 November 1874. Her birth was registered with mother's maiden name WILSON. She married William George Walker 30 March 1898. They had 7 children. She and William George were both alive in 1921 and were living in North Battleford Saskatchewan and William George was a Farmer.

The 11th was a son named Christopher. He was born 12 November 1876. His birth registration has mother's maiden name LANE. He doen't appear to have married. In the 1911 census he is single - a Farmer and has his widowed mother living with him. In the household is a 15 year old adopted son William Weaving[sic] who was born in England and came to Canada in 1903. I am still working on this aspect.

The 12th was a son Thomas Milton - born 27 AQugust 1880. His birth mother was LANE. He married Alice Edna Mawhinney on 3 February 1910 and they had a son - Lyle Edwin - 18 June 1910. Alice died 28 November 1914. He then married Ida May Rowe 1 December 1915 and they had 3 children.

That's as far as I've got, so am reasonably comfortable with my findings. I have provided this background so that no duplication of results will be posted, however, if you wish to comment or make suggestions then they will be appreciated.

Colin

9. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Not so. See posts #4 and #7 :)

10. The Artful Dodger

Hi Chimp
    Looking again at posts #4 & 7

I think there may be errors in transcription on Family Search but will review against my records.

Colin

11. Chimp

Colin see here for 1881 census

http://www.
    bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1881/Pages/results.aspx?k=cnsSurname%3a%22denney%22+AND+cnsProvinceCode%3a%22ON%22

You will find them all.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. Ma-dotcom

Too much info there Chimp. I can't open it.

13. Chimp

Wendy, highlight the whole lot. Copy and paste to the address bar and search. it will take you to it.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. Ma-dotcom

Got it-thanks Chimp. Firefox having a fruity!

Chimp likes this.
  15. The Artful Dodger

I used Ancestry and the images are not great.
    1861 - 4 children - Ann, Louise [sic] s/b Lucinda, John and one I can't read.
    1871 - 8 children - Ann, Lucy, John, Mariah E., Charles W., Sarah J., Catherine and William H. All kids transcribed as Dinnery
    1881 - 9 children - John, Charles Wilsn, Sarah Jane, Catherine H., Wm. Henry, Robert Wesly, May Loretta, Christoph and Thomas Milto. All transcribed as Denney. Thomas Milto Denney is transcribed as 81 years old but s/b 8 months.

The kids missing from the 1881 census are Ann, Lucy and Mariah E. That I think accounts for the 12 children.

I'll now look at the marriage for Catherine.

16. Chimp

Some graves for the Dinney's can be found here

http://www.
    findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=&GSmn=&GSln=dinney&GSbyrel=all&GSby=&GSdyrel=all&GSdy=&GScntry=10&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

17. The Artful Dodger

Thanks, Chimp.

Will have a look-see. Have already found some - particularly for the Snell family and a few others.

Colin

18. The Artful Dodger

The marriage for Catherine & Wesley Geo. Lyne and in Oshawa, Ontario on 6 June 1900 turned out to be an interesting set up of events both prior to and after marriage.

Wesley Geo. was aged 33 and a Bachelor, born in Exeter, Ontario c. 1867 to George and Elizabeth Lyne nee Sweet. His occupation at the time of marriage was stated as a Tailor. I cannot find this couple in 1901 census.
    They show [at least I think it's them] in 1911 census living in Edmonton, Alberta. Wesley Geo. is now enumerated as W. Charles Lyne - birth Aug. 1867 in Ontario and occupation - a Bricklayer. His wife Catherine A. is now enumerated as A. Catherine Lyne - birth Dec. 1868 in Ontario - no occupation and no children. In 1916 census they are living in Edmonton, Alberta at 12420 105th Ave - he is still a Bricklayer - born Ontario 1867 and his wife is born Ontario 1868 - no occupation. Names now appear as George W. and Catherine A. Lyne. With them is Wesley Geo.'s father - George E. Lyne - age 79 married and retired - no previous occupation. He was born in England c. 1837. No sign of wife Elizabeth.

I can find nothing definite about this family prior to Catherine's marriage.

Colin

19. The Artful Dodger

As I mentioned yesterday, I had some burial details of the SNELL family and tracking their cause of death on Ancestry where copies of the actual death certificate - if dated between 1869-1938 - provided a lot of useful detail, but it was often saddening to read and so I won't provide details on this forum.

Colin