1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great, Great Great Grandma, Sarah Hitchman

Discussion in 'Middlesex' started by Archie's Mum, Aug 2, 2015.

1. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Sorry Sue,
    I have replied through your conversation but I missed my boat I think. There are however births as Barratt in the Oakville/Whittingham and Wollombi area four years later but the wife is different.

The difference in the two numbers is perhaps due to some transcription error decades ago. I very much doubt that there were two baptisms. For anyone who has ever read these reels they can be really scrappy and the numbering is all over the shop. There is invariably just one number on a page and you have to count on from there (once you find the thing)! They can be a challenge.

They still might be worth reading to see what they actually say and if they are Catholic then you will get a maiden name.

Jane

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. spison

spison Well-Known Member

I can read them for you but it probably won't be until October.
    Jane

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. spison

spison Well-Known Member

18 is actually the Volume number Wendy. I hate the way that the new Lifelink site has renumbered the old records. To enable a sort by year of these old baptisms when you click on year column, they had to extract the register number and reel and they didn't retype them as it would have been nightmarish to do. If you remember the volume always came first in the old site and on the CDs (and the even earlier fiche).

The numbers should more properly be recorded as V18 1834 320 which is: volume number ... year ... number in register

I attach my statement on my site in regard to the NSW BDM. Probably wrongly linked.
    http://nis.wikidot.com/history#toc2

Pipe dream!

Jane

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I was going to say that it would probably not be them but on second thoughts it wouldn't hurt to look. So thank you, if you wouldn't mind. If you forget or can't then that's fine. Thank you for the offer but in the scheme of things it's not all that important.
    Thank you Jane.

spison likes this.
  5. spison

spison Well-Known Member

No problem Sue. They are on my list to view and so are the Wollombi ones. It is very interesting if you look at the Barratt baptisms that there were three on the one day. Two girls named Elizabeth (one born in 1838 and one in 1840) and another girl named Ann (also born in 1840). We know that they were baptised on the same day because the register numbers (1655, 1656 and 1657) are consecutive. It will be interesting what the actual document says as this is pretty weird! I'm expecting to find some index error has occurred somewhere.

I'll do this as soon as I can as I have some records for me that I want to view too.

Regards
    Jane

Archie's Mum likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Thank you Jane. I very much appreciate it.
    I think my sister and I are going to get the death transcription of the Richard Burnett who died in 1883, Parramatta. She has found a Richard, stonemason around the Balmain and Glebe areas for a number of years from 1863 or so. It appears to me as this may be him, in particular as his father is noted as John on BDM. Interesting to see who the informant is. Thanks again.

spison likes this.