Herbert Hillier 1897...

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by wendymac, Apr 15, 2017.

1. wendymac

wendymac Well-Known Member

Just wondered if anyone would be able to help look up where my grandad went to school. I tried to look for this a few years ago but didn't have any luck
    Would anyone have any access to education records / Schools etc ...they could check out for me please or give me any advice as to how I can find them.

Herbert was adopted when he was a baby by William and Sarah Boardman from Manchester where he lived with them until he died aged 27 from accidental poisoning.
    William and Sarah already had 3 sons if their own William, Samuel and Joe.

Herbert was born 1897 Hulme Manchester, he died 1924. He kept his surname Hillier except I saw an entry I think it was 1911 when he was about 14 and he was down as Herbert Boardman. He is buried with William, Sarah Ann and their eldest son William at Phillips Park Cemetry in Manchester.

Wendy x

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

You may find this to be of help as a place to start....

Code:
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/23142/school_records_guide.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjw24KVjafTAhUJBMAKHZMRAAoQFggdMAE&usg=AFQjCNFu_25mT1goyMaA0QfHxtbyUcRDyQ
    Edited to add: not very good at posting the link as I am using my tablet, so hope that it is accessible. If not, google Manchester school records :oops:

Flook likes this.
  3. wendymac

wendymac Well-Known Member

Thanks Jan :p

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Philb-c

Philb-c Well-Known Member

Ah, just what I was trying to do yesterday with my late father in law, James Herbert Glover (b:1909, Wigan, Lancashire). He apparently traveled by train to a private school in Liverpool from where he lived in Upholland. We don't know if it was a junior or senior school.

wendymac likes this.