How many Baptisms do they need?

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Peregrine, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

Richard Eddy and Patience Daniel were married 15 Jan 1814 at Madron. The residence for both of them was listed as 'of the Chapelry (to Madron) of Morvah'.
    Their first child was Elizabeth Trembath Eddy born about 1814. She was baptised at least twice:

Firstly at Morvah, Chapelry to Madron on 5 June 1814 the entry on the OPC Cornwall Database noting that their residence was "Trembath als Trevean"; the father's occupation was farmer; and a note was added "Sunday, privately. Received into the Church Oct 16 1814".

Secondly at Madron on 23 June 1814 the entry on the OPC Cornwall Databse noting that their residence was Hea; the father's occupation was husbandman; and a note was added "Thursday, privately. Received into the Church Sunday July the third."

What is going on here??? Parents in both cases were listed as Richard and Patience.

:confused:

2. Peregrine

Aah!!! there was a Patience Daniel, daughter of James, baptised 6 Nov 1791 at Morvah and a Margaret Patience Daniel, daughter of Thomas, baptised 5 Aug 1792 also at Morvah. Probably the families have been intertwined somehow!!!
    :confused::eek: o_O

Time to take a break and rest for a while!!

Sis, Daft Bat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

'werelate' tree has Patience Daniel baptised 6 Nov 1791 Morvah parents James Daniel and Lucretia Mitchell married 11 May 1783.
    Patience married Richard Eddy 15 Jan 1814. Richards parents Richard Eddy 1757 and Elizabeth Trembath 1760-1788 married 1785. Patience died 3 August 1865 Richard died 4 May 1852. Daughter Elizabeth bap 1814.
    Just had a look at OPC. There is actually three. Elizabeth Trembath Eddy.
    20 Nov 1814 Madron
    23 June 1814 Madron
    5 May 1814 Madron Morvath
    All with parents Richard and Patience Eddy :confused:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Sis likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

5 June 1814 :oops:

5. Archie's Mum

I wonder, as Richard and Patience had 3 different addresses after Elizabeth arrived, did they believe that they had to have her received into each new church as they went!

Elsiesgirl, Bonzo Dog, Figgs and 2 others like this.
  6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Good point AM.

Elsiesgirl and Archie's Mum like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Sister Margaret was 'done' twice as well!

Sis likes this.
  8. Peregrine

I don't think the rest did me much good! I started to write this earlier this morning! I had discovered that many trees had Patience Daniel's younger aunt Margaret Patience Daniel marrying Richard Eddy! Many other trees had Patience Daniel marrying Richard as I do. I didn't know but figured the two ladies had to be related and that took a while to work out. Patience Daniel's parents were Matthew Daniel and Ann Eddy, but her grandparent were Matthew Daniel and Patience Odgers. Matthew and Patience's son, Thomas was Margaret Patience Daniel's father. Margaret Patience seems to be named after her mother, Margaret Harry and grandmother, Patience Odgers. But I don't think Margaret Patience is the 'Patience' that married Richard Eddy, I just need to prove it somehow.:sceptical: Got all that?!!:confused:

But I have Patience Daniel's mother as Jane Edwards who married James Daniel on 8 Aug 1789 at Morvah with both Jane and James being residents of Morvah. Seems much more likely than marrying Lucretia Mitchell at St Ives; I mean to say, St Ives is just so far away from Morvah - a whole 8.9 miles!!;)

Yes I saw that this younger Margaret Patience was baptised twice. But it is her name that had me worrying whether I had the right wife for Richard Eddy, especially given that a good few of the trees on Ancestry had him marrying Margaret Patience Daniel. I have searched and searched for other records for Margaret Patience Daniel, using Margaret, Patience and both names, but I can't. So what happened to her? Note: I did find an interesting burial in the United States, but lost it when my computer restarted after loading an update!!

Going a wee bit crazier than normal here

Elsiesgirl, PaulaW and Daft Bat like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

You want some more crazy? Google "Margaret Patience DANIEL'
    I just did & many info pages come up, the top two being :
    Margaret Patience Daniel (1792 - c.1865)
    www.geni.
    com/people/Margaret-Daniel

Margaret Patience Eddy (1816 - d.)
    www.geni.
    com/people/Margaret-Eddy/

May be worth your time if you haven't already.
    I didn't try too hard as the names were swirling with what I've read of yours.
    You a least know what you are doing-believe it or not. :D

(Links edited as you need to be a member in order to read them)

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  10. Peregrine

Might leave that till tomorrow. Don't think my head could handle it just now...

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Margaret Patience Eddy married ( Cornwall OPC) George Thomas res Rose Valley 13 Oct 1839 her res Trevean married Morvah. The 'werelate' tree has her as Margaret Catherine.....wrong. Father Richard Eddy

12. Archie's Mum

Just to confuse things a little bit more :confused:
    The above Margaret Patience Eddy/Thomas
    William Eddy son of Thomas Eddy and Elizabeth Saundry miner
    of Keigwin bachelor 35 married (Margaret) Patience Thomas nee Eddy daughter of Richard Eddy and Patience Daniel widow of George Thomas of Keigwin 32. 11 November 1848 St Just by banns, he single she a widow.
    from 'The Eddy Family of Cornwall'
    Children of Margaret and George Thomas are
    Patience 1841
    Eliza 1842
    Grace 1844
    Children of Margaret and William Eddy are
    William 1849
    Mary Jane 1852-1852
    Mary Jane 1855
    Elizabeth Anne 1857
    Just few more intertwined Eddy's for you to chase up. :)

13. Peregrine

Just on our way to a Debirah Conway and Willy Zygier performance in town. But I had to say I don't need any more confusion thankyou.
    That said I was looking at a census for someone recently and noted that three families in my tree all featured on the same page. I think they were Richards, Eddy and Lutey! No wonder the families are so intertwined and I am so confused.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. PaulaW

PaulaW New Member

Am I too late???

Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but I find it amusing that while trying to "fix" my tree on WeRelate, I come across this very conversation! I'm hopeful you can help me as I've been fixing Richards', Eddys and Luteys for a week and as you say, it's really hard to keep track of who is whom (and where).

Yes, the tree I created on werelate has it's issues; a couple of them, I think, one due to confusion over which Margaret (daughter of Richard and Patience) married George Thomas, and for some reason the gedcom upload I did years ago as a base to start from has put Patience Daniel against the wrong parents (yes it should be Jane Edwards, not Lucretia Michell, you're 100% correct there. I don't even know who Lucretia is, to be honest!).

Embarrassing that it has been like that for some time, but I'm fixing it up now.

Problem is (and why I began searching on the Internet and came across this message thread), that while this Margaret
    Code:
    http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Margaret_Eddy_(1)
    is Margaret Catherine when marrying her first husband George Thomas in my very tattered, very worn copy of extracts from Morvah, you say your source has her as Margaret Patience? I'm hoping your source trumps my source because then it will all start to make sense, as I could not find a baptism for Margaret Catherine, only Margaret Patience. I was wondering if I'd missed a child of the family, and that all this time we've been confusing two Margarets as one... And having looked at OPC (which is where I think you got your info from) it has Margaret Patience...
    I'm going to err on the side of common sense and change the name of Margaret Catherine to Margaret Patience on WeRelate. I think my copy of the parish extracts is from about 2001, but if I leave it as a source on the page with the details, I think that covers it?

ps, I'm descended from these guys; Richard Eddy > Margaret Patience Eddy > Grace Thomas > John Thomas Wright > Eva Florence Wright > Betty Traeger

15. Ma-dotcom

Welcome in Paula W. always good to see some new info on a family being discussed.
    Looking forward to seeing this family nicely placed.

Elsiesgirl and Peregrine like this.
  16. Peregrine

Welcome and you are never too late. But I am away from home and not able to review properly where I am at with these people. Will get back to you later in the week.

17. Peregrine

You are correct, I have primarily used the OPC database (can't speak for other contributors) and found both her baptism and her marriages records there. That said I have just now double checked by viewing the images of the registers on Family Search and both her baptism and her marriage to George Thomas give her name as Margaret Patience.
    Family Search Citation for Image of Marriage is as follows: "England, Cornwall Parish Registers, 1538-2010," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903...414&wc=3CBH-MJQ:138123201,140057101,139398101 : 14 April 2015), Cornwall > Morvah > image 5 of 51; Cornwall Records Office, Truro.

So just enter https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6DZN-SX . (Will someone please tell me how to do that neat little code box thingy for urls - I have searched for instructions but can never find it.)

P.S. My husband is only distantly connected to these people. His ancestors on his grandmother's line are all Cornish and primarily come from St Just in Penwith and nearby.

Elsiesgirl, PaulaW and Archie's Mum like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Here you go :
    code.JPG

PaulaW, Archie's Mum and MollyMay like this.
  19. Peregrine

Oh!!:oops::rolleyes: Thanks Wendy

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  20. Archie's Mum

Thanks Wendy. I was too shy to ask. Thanks Esther.

Peregrine and Ma-dotcom like this.