Irish Religion

Discussion in 'Clergy' started by Joanne, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

My 4th Great Grandfather was a Prebendary and later became a Deacon. Am I correct in assuming this is with the Anglican Church?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

From what I am able to find out, yes. :)

3. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Thankyou Jan, I was going nuts trying to understand it :)

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The position is a type of canon in an Anglican or Roman catholic cathedral or collegiate church. A clergyman receiving a prebend, not a stipend, for officiating and serving in the church. (according to all things Wiki!)

Joanne, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I have no idea whether this will be useful or not - it's pretty heavy going and I cross-eyed out after a line or two. Still, others might not find it so burdensome so here goes - it's from the "Statutes of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland - Volume 14" :confused:

https://books.
    google.com.au/books?id=36FUAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=prebendary+in+ireland&source=bl&ots=1_yEaMZ3-z&sig=XTlGF-GVrzPfWqT0schblm16Sqc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eRiJVaizB8Li8AWX5YLYAQ&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=prebendary%20in%20ireland&f=false

Goodness only knows if the link will work or not, but I broke it just in case something there infers commercial interests!! o_O

Joanne likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

So glad my comp'r informed me that 'server not found' was not awake enough to read whatever came up.
    Often chopping off a bit of the link is enough to access, but am feeling lazy.
    okay, it came up on link deleting all after '16Sqc&hl.' still not up to pursuing it.

7. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I think, if my tired mind remembers correctly, I just Googled "prebendary in Ireland" and that was one of the results that came up.

Definitely too weary to pursue it further tonight, brain in overload with 2 imminent birthday celebrations and other "stuff" on a very close horizon, so will try again if and when the cells regenerate. Tomorrow definitely the earliest.

So in anticipation, - 'Night everyone!!!!

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Rest well Philippa.

Philippa likes this.
  9. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Reason I asked is after looking at Philippa's Irish genealogy I got confused as to whether I needed to search under Anglican or Roman Catholic . Pretty sure though no Roman Catholics in the family

10. Ma-dotcom

Don't be too sure Jo, they do tend to blend a little ;) Not always advertised as such perhaps.?
    I know of some lovely ones....

A prebendary is a senior member of clergy, normally supported by the revenues from an estate or parish. The holder of the post is connected to an Anglican or Roman Catholic cathedral or collegiate church. The position is a type of canon who has a role in the administration of a cathedral.
    Prebendary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

she04 and Philippa like this.
  11. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Ok, what I'm trying to find out is where Joshua Free might be buried. At the time of his death in 1846 he was with the church in County Down. Would he have been buried in his own churchyard or made his own choices. After his death his wife and family lived in a house supplied by the church. His wife died two years later and then in 1850 his oldest son came to NSW and in 1852 the three younger boys went to Victoria. The sister is unknown

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Two thoughts on this:

First, if your 4x great grandfather had been a Roman Catholic clergyman, he would have been a naughty boy. RC clergy are not allowed to marry. ;)

Second, unless there was a family grave somewhere, I think it's most likely that he was buried where he was living at the time. I had a quick look for him at PRONI in case there was reference to a will; I didn't find that, but there is a letter from a minister in Ardglass acknowledging receipt of support for his widow (Ref. DIO/1/25/A/44).

Spurred on by this I had a bit more of a look for Ardglass, but it appears he may have been living in Dunsford, a few miles to the north. See http:// freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/WORDS/Famine.htm
    for references to 3 reports he made on the potato famine.

Hope this helps!

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  13. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Thankyou Arthur it does. I'd like to think he was a good boy :).Thankyou also for the look at PRONI.I will follow up on that letter. I do have the reports on the famine and managed to track down some letters printed in newspapers to the editor he wrote on poor relief etc. He appears to be a strong defender of the poor. My apologies it was Dunsford Parish he died. I shall try and track his father again as he was listed as "Esquire" in Dublin

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Some newspaper announcements (such as one in the Belfast News-letter of 17 November 1846) name Joshua Free's successor at Dunsford as Rev. F. F. Magrath, of Dundrum. Fol(l)iot(t) Forbes Magrath was Rector of the Church of Ireland church in Dunsford according to this page from Ros Davies' County Down website, which Arthur has already mentioned:

http://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/PHOTOSwords/DunsfortAll.htm

As noted there, the burial registers for the period you want have not survived, unfortunately: they were probably among the many irreplaceable archives lost when the Public Record Office in Dublin was destroyed in 1922. :( Unless there is a reference in a newspaper or elsewhere to Joshua's burial, your best hope might be finding a gravestone. If you haven't done so already, try e-mailing Ros Davies, who offers look-ups of monumental inscriptions at Dunsford.

P.S. while looking for more about Joshua's university education I found a great website . . . will start a new thread about it a bit later.

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.
  15. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

I wait in anticipation and not to take the wind out of Huncamuncas sail I have the following.. from the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin
    Joshua Free was the only son of William Free,generosos,was born in Dublin and entered Trinity College,Dublin as a Fellow Commoner,Oc 3,1814 aged 16,B.A 1819,M.A 1832.Curate of Castropetre 1826-1831,Perpetual Curate of St Doulaghs's,Malahide,1831-1844,Prebendary of Dunsport (Down Diocese),1844-46. Ordained Deacon 1825. Entered Gray's Inn 1819 as only son of William of Dublin,Esq.,deceased

Huncamunca and Ma-dotcom like this.
  16. Huncamunca

It was the Trinity College, Dublin, entrance records I was talking about, Joanne. I don't think they add much to what you have posted above, but it's still good to have an image of the original document for the family archive. If you have any problems finding the right entry or interpreting it, let me know.

The entrance book doesn't say anything about Joshua's father being dead in 1814 (and some other people's records certainly do say 'def[unct]i' next to father's name). So in theory we should be looking for a William Free who died between then and 1819 . . .

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. Huncamunca

I don't know if this is something or nothing, Joanne, but it has kept me occupied for a little while . . .

'Joshua Free, Esq., House of Industry' is on a list of subscribers to this book called Reliques of Irish Poetry: consisting of heroic poems, odes, elegies, and songs, translated into English verse, published in Dublin in 1816:

https://
    books.google.co.uk/books?id=hRMwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR140

Your Joshua would only have been about 18 in 1816, but as his name is unusual I thought this may be worth further investigation. Searching newspapers for the House of Industry found this advertisement in various editions of Saunders' News-Letter (published in Dublin) in 1809/1810:

HOUSE OF INDUSTRY
    A Number of Shirts of different qualities and of the best linen, to be disposed of on reasonable terms. -Inquire at Mrs. Free's, Superintendent of the Female asylum.

Then on a list of estimated expenses for the Dublin House of Industry in 1826 there is an annual payment of £32-6-4 to 'Susanna Free, Superannuated Superintendent of the Bedford Asylum':
    books.google.co.uk/books?id=nx5DAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA756

Googling for Susanna Free found this little gem about the House of Industry way back in a Dublin 'almanack' of 1800, naming the 'Superintendents of the Asylums for industrious Children' as William and Susanna Free:

books.google.co.uk/books?id=zTM_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA137

Is he your elusive William Free? Seems quite plausible if there is also a Joshua Free connected with the same institution. Will have to do some more digging later . . . but have to stop and get the supper ready now :(

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  18. Huncamunca

managed to sneak in a little bit more googling in between juggling pots and pans.

It turned up a very interesting site which I had no idea existed, a catalogue of the 'Chief Secretary's Office Registered Papers' at the National Archives of Ireland:

http://www.
    csorp.nationalarchives.ie/index.html

Their ref. CSO/RP/1821/534 is described as a 'File of papers relating to case of Susanna Free, superintendent of female children at Bedford Asylum, Dublin, and her requests for a pension and also for a situation for her son. Includes petition of Free to Earl Talbot, Lord Lieutenant, Dublin Castle, requesting to be granted a pension for her services in the Bedford Asylum, [January 1821]. Petition certified by Dr James Henthorn, Reverend William O'Connor, Edward Houghton, James Horner, and Francis L'Estrange, former governors of House of Industry, Dublin, 25 January 1821. Also statement of the salary of Susanna Free for previous 6 years, as superintendent of the Bedford Asylum, signed by Major James Palmer, governor, 15 February 1821. Palmer has added a postscript stating that, in his opinion, her salary was 'far above what a Superintendent sh[oul]d receive and I consider it my duty to state it'. (11 items, dated 1820-1821)

Also in the collection is a 'Letter from Joshua Free, [Dublin] to Charles Grant, Chief Secretary, Dublin Castle, on behalf of his mother, Susanna Free, and her claims for compensation. Concerns his complaint that the value of her income as superintendent in the Bedford Asylum, Dublin, has not been considered in the provision of a superannuated pension. (dated December 1821; ref. CSO/RP/1821/647).

There are a few images of documents (but not these ones, unless I've missed them) on the site. Perhaps you can get copies though?

19. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Wow thankyou Huncamunca.
    Really must remember to hit post,this should've gone yesterday:oops:

I've heard back from Ros Davies.. unfortunately no luck there :headbang:

Huncamunca likes this.
  20. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

I have sent an email to Church of Ireland's head office,lets see if they can
    offer any advice? :sceptical:

Huncamunca and Ma-dotcom like this.