James Dennis born 1820

Discussion in 'Huntingdonshire' started by Shellymac, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

Today I found a James Dennis's trial 3 Jan 1842 in Huntingdonshire and he got life it said he was born 1820. I have a James Dennis born 1820 at Hail Weston to James and Sarah Richardson he would be the brother of my gggranfather Samuel who came to Australia with his father James and siblings, so now I would like to find out if he is part of my family, I found a James Dennis left the UK on 12 March 1842 arrived in Hobart 5 July 1842 on the Eden it says trial at Huntingdonshire. My question is would this be too quick only 2 months between trial and departure.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

That's right. He was convicted 3 Jan 1842 and sailed on the Eden (2) sailing 23 March 1842. Highway robbery and stealing but more convictions before that. He was also absent from the 15th Regiment and classed as a deserter.
    Two brothers Charles and George and two sisters Eliza and Betsy.
    I cant get into the records for some reason but this came from Founders and Survivors that are transcriptions of the records anyway.

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  3. Shellymac

Thanks AM This has to be Samuel's brother as their sisters were Eliza b 1819 she married Charles Darby in the UK by came out here, next sister was Elizabeth b 1822 I guess she went by Betsy she married John Hardwick in the UK and came out here, then twins George and Charles b 1832 but he also had two more brothers Samuel John 1835 and William 1839. Well you live and learn I will now take a look at Founders and Survivors as I have never heard of it and of cause I know nothing about this man so I may need help with it.

Archie's Mum and Sis like this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Would this be why AM.

We regret that owing to worsening technical and security problems we have had to close part of the FAS website to public use. You can still search for a convict and read the transcriptions of his/her records, but, at present, ONLY REGISTERED VOLUNTEERS can access the Community Contributed material. You can still access the FAS newsletter 'Chainletter' via the website. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING REGISTRATIONS. When the project is transferred to an official, long-term site, all users will again be able to access Community Contributed material. By this time the data will have been cleansed, sorted and verified by the volunteers.

Mealymoo, Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Well that's just dandy....not:mad:

Half Hour likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

1841 census St Neots, Hail Weston
    James 44-48
    Sarah 43-47
    Eliza 18-22
    Elizabeth 19-23
    Charles 9
    George 9
    Samuel 6
    William 2
    William 0
    This them?

Sis likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Just re read that. That refers to Founders and Survivors. I can get into that OK but cant get Tasmania Names Index or Tasmania Archives On line. They may just be down for the moment. I got into them this morning without a problem.

Sis likes this.
  8. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Duh, read that wrong didn't I, sorry:oops::rolleyes:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  9. Archie's Mum

"Currently experiencing technical difficulties" however I can a bit of info just not images.
    There is a death of a James Dennis 10/10/1877 age 58...looks good. Wife is stated as Jane but cant see a marriage yet for them.

10. Archie's Mum

Interesting:
    Trove: Tasmania Colonist page 3. Quarter Sessions
    Thursday 4 Dec 1851...passing of sentence.
    William Skipp and James Dennis. We are sorry to deal with your case of cattle stealing. The law is imperative on us. To be transported for life.
    This would mean Norfolk Island. Sorry I cant get into his record as yet. Will keep trying. It may not be him but I'm sure it is.

Mealymoo likes this.
  11. Shellymac

Yes this is them and the Baby William has to belong to one of the girls, I will have to look at the census again for Eliza Darby as I think in the 1851 census she has William 10 or 11 with her as William Dennis. I know that some of them came out on the Wilson Kennedy I know that that Aunts and Uncles came as well.
    I have search online tree and nobody has this man as a convict somebody must know to have added that info about brothers and sisters to founders and Survivors. I did find him on the 1846 Muster at Macquarie ? and in 1849 it lists him hired by J Jackson of it looks like Pesch ( but that doesn't look right) Bay.
    The rest of his family all came to NSW so maybe he made his way up here at some point, his parents were James Dennis and Sarah Richardson.
    I just can't find any thing about him.

12. Shellymac

There was more than one James Dennis sent to Tassie. Now, as I have not been able to do much but just sit around I would never have looked into this man I thought that he must have stayed in the UK.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

There are 6 or so by that name but until I can look at the record, we are hogtied.
    Macquarie ? would be Macquarie Harbour over at Strachan.
    The information about his siblings is on the original records transcribed by Founders and Survivors. They told me heaps about mine from all those records.
    Any information given to FAS had to be verified by them before they would add it as a contribution.

14. Archie's Mum

There is death of a James Dennis Queanbeyan 5618/1870. Parents James and Sarah...

15. Archie's Mum

This could be James Dennis transported on the William Jardine in 1850. So not yours.

16. Shellymac

His sister Eliza Darby died in Queanbeyan in 1891 so this looks good have to check it out after dinner and to think we used to live there.

17. Archie's Mum

Found something on Monaro Pioneers Newsletter and sent you the link.
    It has James born 1820 then says James buried 1824 aged 5 months.
    James Snr died 1870 Gundaroo as well.

18. Shellymac

Eliza Darby died 1871not 91

19. Shellymac

Yes James Snr died at Gundaroo I have Death cert, but I know nothing about a James born 1824 and dying the same year. I only have the index to all the bap so was wondering if FMP have the images, can somebody let me know if they do as I could sign up and get the copies.
    I can't open the link so I did a search for Dennis and found what was there, also Charles Darby's family are on there.

20. Shellymac

I ended up finding the Newsletter and I am in touch with the lady so I will have to let her know that were have a convict in this family.

Ma-dotcom, Sis and Archie's Mum like this.