Jeremiah Connor

Discussion in 'Kent' started by BernardOC, Aug 8, 2016.

1. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

I have some loose ends in my research of Jeremiah Connor. In 1851 he was Chief Boatman in the Coastguard Station of Newton by the Sea, Northumberland. However in the 1841 Census he was in Ayton Berwickshire as Boatman in the Coastguard. In this census his daughter Elizabeth is recorded as born in England 1832. Further information narrows this down to Romney, Kent. In 1834 he was back in Scotland as his son John's birth place in 1841 census shows
    I cannot find any record Elizabeth's birth in Kent. I am also unable to find whether Jeremiah was working in the Coastguard in Kent. He has a record of Coastguard employment in 1821 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, 1841 Ayton, Berwickshire and 1851 in Northumberland. So I am assuming he was in Coastguard employment whilst in Kent. I also have found a Jeremiah Connor on the Naval Blockade out of Newhaven in 1931. I believe some Coastguards were seconded to Naval Duties on blockade duties.This could tie in with Elizabeth's birth in Romney 1832. Finally Jeremiah retired from the Coastguard service and in the 1861 census was in Northfleet, Kent.
    A long story but any assistance with clarification/confirmation will be a great help

2. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Sorry I can't find anything at all for her either in Kent or in Scotland. Do you know anything more about Her?

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I did wonder if Elizabeth had been born in Kent but baptised elsewhere, particularly if the Mother had travelled with Jeremiah sometimes.
    1861 census suggests "Kruby, Lydd" as her birthplace. Cannot find any 'Kruby' but Lydd does not have her in FreeReg Baptisms. Nor Northfleet.

She doesn't appear either in searches with parents names only, so perhaps there was no place or money for Baptism at the right time & they never caught up. Unless Elizabeth was a 2nd name.
    Did she marry & perhaps have Baptism perfomed then?

BernardOC likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The age for Elizabeth on the 1861 has her at 20, born Lydd which would make her born around 1840-1842. Her sister Letitia is 19.
    Could there have been another Elizabeth born around 1832 but deceased. Is Elizabeth on the 1851 census or did Familysearch just omit her? This is the census info I can access.
    Birth registration for an Elizabeth Connor, Greenwich, Kent 1841 Vol 5 page 193. I know it's a long way from Lydd.

5. Archie's Mum

Is there a possibility that there is another daughter, Catherin, born 1834 Ayton, Berwickshire?

6. Archie's Mum

So now she appears as age 39 born Romney Kent on 1871 with mother Catherine and sister Letitia in Bromley St Leonards.
    Ages on 1861 must be errors for them both.

Post reply button.....Sue

BernardOC likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Here's run down for you Sue, 1861 some-one messed up the birth dates.
    1841 Scotland
    Coat Guard Station Burnmouth
    Jeremiah Connor 45
    Catherin Connor 30
    John Connor 11 b.Berwickshire
    Elizabeth Connor 9 b.England
    Catherin Connor 7 b.Scotland
    Jeremiah Connor 5 b.Berwickshire
    Lattitia Connor 1 Mo. Berwickshire

Jeremiah Connor 65 Ireland
    Catherine Connor 55 Ireland
    Elizabeth Connor 20 Lydd
    Letitia Connor 19 Scotland
    Thomas Connor 15 ''
    John Connor 13 ""
    Thomas Brown 20

Catherine "O'Connor" with Elizabeth,39, Letitia 30 & Thomas 25 at Bromley

1881 Elizabeth 47 b.Lydd, Kent, England & Letitia b.Scotland 37 living with brother Thomas & his Family at 53 British St. Bromley.
    RG11; Piece: 497; Folio: 39; Page: 18

This should be available to you as 1881 index is free. F.S. will have it for sure.
    1911 the two sisters are in an apartment in Stratford, West Ham. Letitia indexed as b. "Bermondsey",Berwickshire Instead of Burnmouth! :D

BernardOC and Archie's Mum like this.
  8. Archie's Mum

1891 census has Elizabeth born 'Sid' Kent. Not sure if it should read 'Lydd'
    Not too sure if my sister and I could live with each other for ever. Love each other as we do. But.....

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There is/was a Sidcup in Kent. Thats if my memory serves me well!;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Yes definitely a Sidcup in Kent.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  11. BernardOC

BernardOC Active Member

Thanks for all this info. It's helped me trace Elizabeth though to 1911 which fills in some missing pieces of the puzzle. I recall my Grandfather discussing his family and that both Letitia and Elizabeth never married.

There is still some info I'm missing. Could you look at the following for me.

The earliest information I have for Elizabeth's father, is Jeremiah Connor signed on for the Coastguard in December 1821 at Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. I have been completely unable to find any dates for his arrival in Britain or when/where he married Catherin. Based on Elizabeth's DOB, I assume that Jeremiah & Catherin married between 1828-1830. Unscientific I know. Also when he was living in Kent when Elizabeth was born, was he still in the Coastguard? I've searched Coastguard Records but couldn't find Jeremiah. Finally I believe again from family talk that Jeremiah Connor served on the Revenue Anti-Smuggling Blockade on the "Hyperion" based in Newhaven, Sussex. This would, if correct, be about 1830/33 when Elizabeth was born in Lydd As this isn't so far from Lydd, Kent it's a possibility. Can this be further verified. Finally, with Catherine not reflected in the 1881 census with her children, did she die before 1881. I have looked through BMD but cannot find her date of death.These last queries if solved will more or less complete my Jeremiah narrative. Thanks

Archie's Mum and Ma-dotcom like this.
  12. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Could this be Catherine's death reg.

Catharine Connor age 70 (almost fits with age 65 born 1806 in 1871)
    Sept qtr 1875 Poplar 1c 396
    Poplar reg district includes Bromley

BernardOC likes this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

As far as I know, there is no sure fire way of finding a departure date from Ireland or arrival in England other than those you've already found. You have more than I was alleto be sure of in military or marine circles. Seems to have been a few Jeremiah Connors doing similar things. Had to go out this morning so couldn't look for very long. Not even sure of a death for him.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

A Jeremiah Connor turns up on Forces War records 1849 on (HMS) Constance as Able Seaman. But as Wendy has said there are lots of persons of that name around that time.

15. Ma-dotcom

and given the ride I've had with that site I won't be inquiring there ever again...suckered once not twice. Took a while for the reality to sink in that I wasn't just there for a month,...just a month forever until I found out.!!!

16. Archie's Mum

For the death of Jeremiah, how does this one look
    Jeremiah Connor age 75 Jan-Feb-Mar 1871 Poplar, London Vol 1c page 504.
    As the family has been found in Bromley in 1871, without Jeremiah, Poplar District of the Metropolis also included Bromley.
    Also.....Jeremiah Connor, Merchant Navy Seaman Records 1845-1849, United Kingdom. Born 1796 Cork. (Family Search)

BernardOC likes this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

I also found a Jeremiah b. 1796- Cork, Sue, on FMP [connected to F.S.] seemed to connect with a later death in Cork but I may be mis-remembering as I had a v. busyday yesterday.