1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leveridge family

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Dee Dee, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

To add to this:
    Groom was a widower and a market gardener.
    Thomas' occupation was coachman and James was a gardener but deceased.
    Witnesses: Matthew FLOOD and Laura FLOOD

(Source: FreeReg)
  2. MollyMay

MollyMay Well-Known Member

How odd - the other marriage on the same page 27/10/1840 of John Norton and Ann Duffield has two witness which are the same as at the marriage of Thomas and Susan on 30/3/1841 ie Francis Duffied and W Smalls
    Huncamunca likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

When Thomas Leverage senior married Susan(nah), he said his father was Richard, a schoolmaster. Could this be him, in Coltishall Road, Buxton, Norfolk, in 1851 (HO 107/1810, f.593, p.11)? -

Richard Leverage, head, mar, 56, school master, b. Norfolk Tittleshall
    Mary do, wife, do, 53, b. do Lamas
    Charlotte do, daur, u, 18, school governess, do Buxton
    Juliet do, do, 13, scholar, do do
    Josiah do, son, 12 do, do do
    Frederic Matthews, Lodger, u, 19, b. do Norwich, deaf & dumb

There is a most interesting and unusual report about the death and burial of the son, Josiah. Even though I haven't yet found firm evidence that this is the correct family, I'm posting it because I thought it would be of general interest:

Bury and Norwich Post, 10 March 1863

REFUSAL TO BURY AN UNBAPTISED ADULT. - A good deal of feeling was excited in the parish of Buxton last week, by the refusal of the Rev. W. Stracey, Vicar of the parishes of Buxton, Oxnead, and Skeyton, to bury the son of Mr. Richard Leverage, Baptist schoolmaster, a young man 24 years of age, and well known throughout the neighbourhood. Josiah, the last survivor of five sons, had held a situation in a large drapery establishment in London, till, becoming afflicted with dropsy, he returned to Norfolk, and was admitted into the Norwich Hospital, whence he was discharged as incurable about a fortnight ago. A day or two after his return to his native village, Mrs. Stracey, the Vicar's wife, called on him and urged him to be baptised, and he at length agreed to receive the rite on Wednesday, the 25th ult., but expired the night before. The Vicar, calling the next morning, expressed his regret that he had not been sent for before death took place, and that he was unable to read the burial service over the corpse, or to allow any service to be performed in the burial-ground. The father accordingly obtained leave of J. Wright, Esq., by whom the school of which he is master, and at which many of the young farmers and others in the place and neighbourhood have been instructed, was endowed in 1828, to take the corpse into the schoolroom, that a service might be held there by the Rev. B. May, minister of the Baptist chapel at Buxton. Thirty of the Odd Fellows fo the district headed the funeral procession from the house, six of them bearing the coffin, the deceased having been a member of their club. Among those present in the schoolroom were Messrs. Wright, Cooke, Gambling, and others. In the course of his address Mr. May said they had the comfort of knowing that the deceased "was gone to join his Father in Heaven," adding, "Of our dear brother who has gone, those who knew him were, I am sure, constrained to love him. I knew but little of him myself, but what I did cheered my heart. A few hours before he died he said to me, 'I am not afraid to die.' I asked him why? and he said he was 'resting on Christ.' He said that Jesus was his Saviour, and that is the great consolation to us now." The coffin was then borne to the church-yard, where the Vicar and his two curates were standing by the grave uncovered, the church bell being also tolled. The body having been lowered into the grave, tufts of heather, which had been worn by the friends attending the funeral, were thrown down upon it, and after a silent prayer the mourners left the churchyard. Mr. Stracey endeavoured to comfort the mother of the deceased, who was present with several of his sisters, and evident regret was shown that the wish of the parents that the young man should be buried according to the rites of the Established Church could not be complied with.'​

The story appeared in many other newspapers too.
  4. MollyMay

MollyMay Well-Known Member

The 1841 census HO107 767 2 9 in Wramplingham sees

William Smalls age 50 ag lab
    Martha Smalls age 50
    Thomas Leverage age 20 ag lab
    Susan Leverage age 20
    Huncamunca likes this.
  5. Huncamunca

So it looks like the newlyweds may have moved in with Susan's parents. Meanwhile, in Coltishall Road, Buxton, in 1841 (HO 107/761/13, f.22, p.21), here is Richard Leverage:

Richd Leverage, 45, schoolmaster
    Mary do, 45
    Elizth, 8
    Juliet, 5
    Josiah, 2
    all born in county

Though the newspaper report quoted above says Josiah was not baptised and that the father was a Baptist schoolmaster, it looks as if numerous older children of Richard the schoolmaster were baptised in the established church (unless there are two Richards who were both schoolmasters). The following children of Richard Leverage (schoolmaster) and Mary were baptised at Lammas St Andrew

1816 - Robert
    1818 - William
    1821 - Thomas
    1823 - Henry
    1826 - Caroline
    1828 - Louisa
    1830 - Elizabeth

There's also an earlier baptism (1814) for an Eliza dau of Richard Leveridge (husbandman) and Mary. Are they the same couple?

from http://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/Lammas.htm

(full dates are given in the transcript; I have only copied the years)
  6. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Active Member

I really must say a big thanks for all this info. I have passed some on so far but this is all great stuff for her - and for me. I will digest and forward. I am not taking the credit for all this by the way :) Thanks for the marriage link. We can't help digging about can we. As I said this is out of my research sphere but cannot resist a challenge!
    Huncamunca likes this.
  7. Huncamunca

8. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Active Member

I will put all this info together and send to the lady and I think I will put the findings onto A..... It might help others as I haven't found anybody on there researching this family.
    Thanks again to you all for the input (so far) and if I find any other info I will post it and if you find anything then let me know.
  9. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Active Member

Also, thanks for the link to the Norfolk marriage. I had forgotten that these were on the family search site. My husband has Norfolk ancestry although I haven't done much on that for a few years.
  10. Huncamunca

There's a transcript of some records (births and baptisms??) at Buxton workhouse here:

http://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/buxton_workhouse.htm

includes Alfred and Walter Leverage, sons of Susanna Leverage,
    "event date" (=baptism date?) 30/11/1856
    "birth note" (=birth date?) 25/11/1856

No father is named. There are birth registrations on FreeBMD for Alfred and Walter, so is 'John' on the 1861 census an error?

It looks like Walter may have emigrated to Australia too. Ancestry has some New South Wales Immigration Deposit Journals, showing that on 17 Dec 1879 a Walter Leveridge put down a deposit. The 'person for whose benefit the remittance is made' was Susannah Leveridge, a 48 year old domestic servant then of Liversedge Hall, Liversedge, Yorkshire. The 'person to whom reference can be made respecting the person nomianted' was D. (or Dr?) Charters(?), the Crescent, Lightcliffe nr Hallifax. Walter's deposit was refunded though, in November 1880, 'on account of non-arrival of Nominee'.

Susannah was still in England in 1881 (RG 11/4121, f.13, p.19)
    Vale Street, Spotland township, Bacup
    Susannah Leverage, head, w, 50, b. Norfolk, Wymondham
    Emily do, daur, unm, 29, cotton weaver, b. Kent Blackheath

I haven't traced a death in England: did she emigrate after all? Ancestry's 'Australia Death Index' does have a death registration in Granville, NSW, for a Susan Leveridge in 1897. Parents shown as unknown in NSW BMDs index.
  11. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

Silly me, I forgot we were back another generation. I think I must be losing some of my brain cells. Good job we have people who are more with it on the Forum!

There is certainly a family on the IGI with the surname SMALLS baptising children in Wymondham around the time of Susan's birthdate from the census records, this being a Francis SMALLS & either an Elizabeth/Mary GODFREY. Interestingly, earlier baptisms in Wymondham to a James SMALLS & a Susan COLLYER - perhaps Susan's grandparents?

Janet
  12. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

Francis & Elizabeth SMALLS are in the 1841 census of Wymondham (HO107/767/25, folio 7, page 5), he being aged 35 and an Ag Lab, she being aged 50, with son William aged 14, all born in Norfolk.

Can't find him in the 1851 at the moment, but the 1861 census (RG9/410, folio 113, page 18) shows him at Plumstead, Kent, shown as a Labourer in the Royal Arsenal, born c1802 at Wymondham.

Although Francis states that he was born in Wymondham c1802, I cannot find a baptism for him there on Family Search Archdeacons Transcripts. The earliest SMALL/SMALLS baptism I can find in the early 1800's is one on 29 June 1806 for a John SMALL son of James & Ann, he being born on 22 June. The next is a Roberts SMALLS son of James & Ann (late SMITH) on 22 February 1809.

Lunch calls but I wonder if Ann died and James remarried to a Susan COLLYER - more investigation needed after lunch.

Janet
  13. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

FreeReg have transcribed the registers of Wymondham and from them and the Archdeacons Transcripts on IGI it would appear that James & Ann SMALL(S) had their first child William baptised in 1788 up to Mary baptised in 1795 followed by a gap until 1801 when their next child was baptised. I know they had at least one other child as there is a burial at Wymondham on 4 October 1810 for Thomas son of James SMALLS, aged 13 which puts his birthdate c1797. Perhaps James & Ann were working in another parish between 1795 and 1801.

FreeReg have the marriage at Wicklewood on 21 January 1823 of Francis SMALLS & Elizabeth GODFREY both of the parish.

However this is all speculation at the moment as I cannot find a baptism for a Susan SMALLS c1824/5.

Janet
  14. Dee Dee

Dee Dee Active Member

Thanks very much for continuing to post info on these families. Meanwhile I am posting this reply from the lady I (we) are helping as I thought you would like to know how much you are all appreciated.
    "I can not thank you and all others involved in putting together all this information of the Leverage side of my family.
    Some of the later info I had re Thomas and Charlotte and their children, all the earlier info I had none, I feel what you and your helpers have found is correct, even names keep popping up through the family over the different years.
    I found Josiah's story moving, how times have changed since then, Josiah's heart was in the right place, very said for his family.
    I am truly very grateful.
    I joined ancestory only last year trying to find family of my late husbands as his father left his mum before my husband was born.
    What I have has been so rewarding, with my comprehension problem, it took me a long time to work out I am amature and very slow but enjoying every minute. So thank you for putting the information in tree form for me.

What I have found has been very rewarding "
    Huncamunca and Daft Bat like this.
  15. Huncamunca

What a wonderful heart-warming reply! It is lovely to know that we have been able to help. I have really enjoyed the hunt for the Leverages/Leveridges and will keep looking for more about them: there are still a lot of unanswered questions!
  16. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

I must have totally missed MollyMay's posting as she has almost certainly found your Susan SMALLS parents. I wonder, however, if William SMALLS is the William from Wymondham who was the son of James & Ann? Could well be as looking at the 1851 census of Wramplingham, William is shown as aged 61 born Wymondham.

Huncamunca has certainly done you proud Dee Dee as she has found you a wealth of information. As she has said, we will keep looking for further information for you.

Janet
  17. janetbooth

janetbooth Active Member

Given that Martha SMALLS shows her birthplace as Great Melton in the 1851 census of Wramplingham, could this be the marriage of William & Martha via FreeREG:

20 December 1807 at Great Melton St Mary & All Saints William SMALL, of the parish, bachelor & Martha FRANKS, of the parish, spinster. Witnesses: John FRANKS & James WOODCOCK

Janet