1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintenance-birth quandary

Discussion in 'Illegitimacy' started by Ma-dotcom, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

A question out of 'left field' in the US vernacular, also very hard to put into a sensible sentence or query as my current state of awkwardity is messing with my deeper thought & probing processes.

If a person is being paid maintenance money for a child by a person not her husband, is there anyway to tell when that child was born?

A notice appeared of the child's father being £6 in arrears & ordered to catch up & continue payments of 10 shillings per week in 1924.

Did payment stop at child's age of 16 or upon woman's marriage in those times?

Still obsessing over missing person & grasping at all straws & twigs. Hoping child's birth will help to find the mother.
    Only found one newspaper mention on FMP & this morning Ancestry is telling me all pages are Temporarily unavailable.

I do hope this has come over sensibly.

Sis likes this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Perfectly sensible Wendy. :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Jan, thank you.
    Certainly some-lots- of very interesting reading there. I can only handle a little at a time just now in comfort, have been leaving my machine run idle most of the afternoon, before sense kicked & I had to go prep dinner anyway.
    I must admit I didn't think of the recent war times when such things happened quite often-sadly, tho' I haven't found any mention of said father in military mode.
    This is all just a probable case as the area , & the woman's name fit what I'm looking for in that her parents went to live in same area.
    Any one with a curious bent can may-hap find her in Banstead in the 'Mirror of 15 Aug. 1924. Her name I won't mention again in-case she is not the Lady I seek.

5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, I found the article Wendy and have searched high and low for the original affiliation order in a newspaper, but with no luck. Charles had to have been given the order at least 12 weeks before as he was £6 in arrears at 10s per week, however we don't know how long he may have been paying the maintainance before he stopped......it could have been years :(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ann thank you so much, I only have access via FMP- not always a success or maybe it's just me. They may have had an agreement between themselves which became a bit stale when times became tough.

Working on the woman's birth of 1897 a birth may have been from 1916 onwards. I am not sure when my lady may have moved to that area. I had searched London electorals for a time but after a while they proved to have another person also in house which I have not found in BMDs or another initial of which I have no knowledge.

This may be just the one who makes me tuck in my files & ignores ....oh, I hope not. Another Rose in the family was found as Rosina after a long haul.

AnnB likes this.
  7. AnnB

Where was Rosina born Wendy?

8. Ma-dotcom

She was born in Bermondsey Anne, reg'd St. Olave Southwark. Pts moved to Camberwell,- Sidcup area later then Epsom as did two other sisters.

The child's father apparently married in Dec.1/4 1925 so either they were both working & bringing in good money or the child was of age not to receive maintenance.

AnnB likes this.
  9. AnnB

.....or Rosina married and her husband was able to maintain the child - or the child died :(

I'll have another rootle, but I don't think I'll find anything.

10. Ma-dotcom

..Or the mother. :( I just cannot find a death for her from 1911 onward which made this item look promising.
    I'm just redoing electorals in Epsom areas pts moved therein 1935ish. One sister & here hubby there also. Most Rosinas have a 2nd initial which I'd never seen her with before, not on reg'n & no Baptism found.

thanks you so much Anne for looking.

ps. I looked into deaths in Epsom-none matched the children born to the right name from 1913 -1923. Of course she may have moved away.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017