Marriage of William BARTRAM and Maria ... CLARK?

Discussion in 'Suffolk' started by mugwortismy cat, Jun 7, 2013.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

Hello

I have been looking a long time for this. Here is what I know:

William BARTRAM (sometimes the name is seen as BUTTRUM, BATTRAM) bap 1789 in Billingford, Norfolk
    Maria (unknown) b c 1803 in Ringsfield, Suffolk

Family found in Weston, Suffolk in 1841 with 3 children Maria (1829 n/k Suffolk), John Clarke (1831 Weston) and Susannah (1837 Ringsfield). I haven't traced Maria but have tracked John and Susannah to their deaths.

in 1851 & 1861 William and Maria are in Ringsfield. William dies in 1862 and Maria in 1888

I wonder if William's wife's maiden name is CLARK/CLARKE due to her son's second name; and I have found on FamilySearch a bap of Maria CLERK in Ringsfield on 27 Dec 1801.

However, I cannot find a marriage. I wonder if anyone else would have more luck with this than me?

thanks

Christel

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

There is this possibility from FMP - Maria Clark and William Battram (widower) married on 11 Sep 1832 at Weston, Suffolk.

It may be that the first two children are not William's. Have you found baptisms for any of them?

FamilySearch has the marriage with William listed as BATHAM.

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Possibly christenings on FamilySearch for Maria and John in 1830 and 1831 - under the surname Clark with only a mother listed - Maria.

Christening for Susanna Bartram 26.03.1837 - parents William and Maria - so it looks as though Maria and John were not Williams.

4. mugwortismy cat

Thanks Jellylegs,

I'll check all that out. And for some reason I think I forgot to look on FMP for the marriage :rolleyes:

i only had Susanna's christening, she's my 3x great grandmother.

And now I've got to look for William's first marriage ....

Christel

5. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

I notice you live in London. It might be worthwhile setting a couple of hours aside and spending a little time in the Society of Genealogists library where you may find you can easily answer the questions and the subsidiaries which are bound to emerge.

6. mugwortismy cat

Hi Peter

You are (of course) right!

I am a member, but have been neglecting them a bit (ummm, rather a lot) lately. The library has been of great help in many problems, I just hadn't got around to applying this problem there.

However, I just looked at their catalogue and they don't seem to have registers for Weston or Ringsfield :(

7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Not sure if this is your man, but FMP and Family Search have the marriage of William Bartram to Maria Turner Richman 2/5/1815 at Martham

8. mugwortismy cat

Thank you MollyMay

I had seen that but think Martham is too much out of the way, considering where they were born and lived. Also Maria would have been extremely young. Obviously I can't rule it out entirely for William's first marriage, but will look closer to home first.

I said he was born in Billingford but forgot to say that there are two in Norfolk, one near East Dereham (which is not his) and one near Diss (which is).

9. mugwortismy cat

Hi

I believe that I have found William's (name appears as BARTRUM) first marriage to Mary KING in Wattisfield in Apr 1819; there seems to be only the one child William bap Nov 1891 in Wattisfield.

Wattisfield is very close to Weston; so am reasonably happy that this is the one.

10. MollyMay

Congratulations on finding it mugwortismy cat, it does look a distinct possibility. I did check maps and thought my suggestion was unlikey, but threw it into the pot anyway.

11. mugwortismy cat

ummm, of course there's a typo in there somewhere ...

12. MollyMay

I saw that, but knew what you really meant!:)

13. Betsy Jane

Betsy Jane Member

Have found a christening for a Maria Bartram 30 October 1829 in Ayssham, Norfolk. Parents William & Maria Bartram FamilySearch Batch #004115445.

14. mugwortismy cat

Hi Betsy Jane

That's definitely not mine, it's the wrong bit of Norfolk and possibly belongs to the Martham marriage/ Thanks for looking

15. Betsy Jane

Betsy Jane Member

Sorry, should have googled and found the distant between the places, as I am not familer,with places in England. Which I often do to help determine which is the more likely person. At least there is no question as to whether or not it is the right person. LOL

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.