Mary Ellen Mccusker

Discussion in 'BMD Certificates' started by The Artful Dodger, Oct 3, 2014.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

My wife's ancestry is Welsh, Irish and Austrian. Her maiden name was JONES [no kidding] and her mother's maiden name was DARRER [the Austrian connection] who we believe was illegitimate.
    We cannot get anywhere with the Austrian side for obvious reasons and we have had some help bringing the DARRER line to the present day.

What we are looking for is the Irish side. Here is what we know or suspect:
    Her grandmother was Mary Ellen McCusker who was baptised Jan. 30, 1880 in Magheralin, Down, Ireland and was the daughter of Thomas McCusker and Matilda Devlin who were married Feb. 19, 1879 in the Chapel of St. Patrick. in Magheralin.
    The parents of Thomas were Thomas McCusker and Eleanor Smith and he was baptised in Magheralin Jun. 14,1855
    The parents of Matilda were Patrick Devlin and Eliza Jane Auld and she was baptised in Magheralin Mar 14, 1856.

We have found nothing at all on Thomas McCusker or Eleanor Smith.

As for Patrick Devlin he would appear to have been baptised in Magheralin Jun. 27, 1830 and was the son of Thomas Devlin and Jane McKeown. He married Eliza in Lurgan Registry Office Feb. 13, 1854 and he and Eliza had 4 children before she died in Ballygowan, Down Mar. 26, 1862. Nothing is known of her [Eliza's] background.
    After the death of Eliza, Thomas baptised children between Dec. 23 1863 up until his death in Lurgan, Moira Dec. 4 1877. The mother of these children was named Mary Sarah Catney.
    There is a death of a Mary Sarah Devlin, born about 1840 who died in the Oct-Dec. q 1914 - vol. 1 page 260 in Belfast R.D. There are 2 census reference for a Mary Sarah Devlinin 1901 and 1911. The 1901 mentions her as aged 66 and living on Mountview St. Clifton, Antrim and 1911 she is aged 78 and living on Oldpark Road, Clifton.

We would like to confirm and develop these lines if possible.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

As you may remember, we did a lot of work last year on this forum on the McCusker family and, as with any family I have worked on, I knock up a family tree with all the facts that were discussed so that it can be played around with at a later date.
    This was done during the latter part of last year and some findings are at hand.
    Mary Sarah Catney is believed to be the same Mary Sarah Catney that was baptised 23 March 1833 in Lurganville,Moira,Co.Down,Ireland and is the same person named Mary Sarah Devlin who died at 430,Oldpark Rd,Belfast,Ireland on 13 Dec 1914 and who's probate was given on 15 Feb 1918.

Eliza Jane Auld b. ??? d,26 Mar 1862 Kilworlin,Ballygowan,Co.Down,Ireland wife of Patrick Devlin, her parents were Andrew Auld b. possibly 1778, m.28 Oct 1814 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church,Co.Down,Ireland to Florence Stevenson and d.26 Aug 1864 at Ballygowan,Moira,Co.Down,Ireland.
    Florence Stevenson birth and death unknown.

Apart from that all your other facts tie in with what I have already.

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Thank you. I have now found the forum entry from 2014.

4. patten-walsh

Wow,that long ago,it only seems like last year.

5. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I couldn't remember for sure as I was under the weather for most of 2016 - but that is another story.

Incidentally, how did you find the probate for Mary Sarah and how can one acquire copy of her will?

6. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

I am going to activate and continue with the original postings from 2014 and ask that the answer to post#6 above could be posted thereto.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  7. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Hi Colin,

I have amalgamated the threads as requested.

8. patten-walsh

9. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

That was great - thank you.

Viewing the full abstract made interesting reading. Given the full value of her estate I don't think much detail will be revealed regarding her family by attempting to obtain a copy of the actual will or grant.

10. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

The folks named below are the children found from the union of Patrick Devlin and Mary Sarah Catney [marriage date not found]:
    Thomas Philip Devlin - bapt. Magheralin, Armagh & Down, Dec. 23 1863
    Ellen Ann Devlin - bapt. Magheralin, Armagh & Down, Feb. 15 1866
    James Devlin - bapt. Magheralin, Armagh & Down, Feb. 7 1868
    John Edward Devlin - bapt. Magheralin, Down & Armagh, Mar. 11 1870
    Peter Devlin - bapt. Magheralin, Armagh & Down, May 12 1872
    Joseph Coleman Devlin - bapt. not found - born Aug. 27 1875

We know that Patrick Devlin was a Schoolteacher and that he died Dec. 4 1877 at Lurganville, Moira, Down and that he was buried in Kilwarlin Cemetery. A check of the site mentioned in post #128 has found no trace of a will or grant of administration.

I am now looking for details of the children who are 2Xgt. uncles/aunts of my wife.

More later.

11. patten-walsh

Just as a sort of sidetrack, Iv'e just found a marriage for the daughter of Mary Sarah Devlin who is on the 1911 census as Ellen A. aged 45.
    She married on 6 April 1921 at St Josephs Catholic Church, Belfast,Co.Antrim to a Patrick McArdle, a widower from Old Park Rd,Belfast, occupation, director whilst Ellen is still shown as a teacher.

12. patten-walsh

Joseph Coleman Devlin b.27 Aug 1875
    d. 4 Feb 1893 Lurganville,Co.Down

Peter Devlin b.12 May 1872
    d.1910 and is buried in Kilwarlin Cemetery,Kilwarlin,Co.Down

13. patten-walsh

Patrick Mcardle, husband of Ellen Anne Devlin died 31 Mar 1929 430, Old Park Road, Belfast.
    Probate Belfast 22 August to Ellen Ann McArdle the widow. Effects £509 6s. 6d

14. patten-walsh

The marriage of Mary Sarah Catney to Patrick Devlin was 18 Feb 1863 Magheralinn

15. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

There was also a modest estate in England according to the Probate Calendar of England and Wales - granted to Ellen Ann and sealed London 10 Sep. 1929.

patten-walsh likes this.
  16. patten-walsh

Yes,good find.
    Ellen Ann then goes on till 6th Oct 1945 and passes away at "Stella Maris",Ladys Mile,Hollywood,Belfast,Ireland

17. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Could this be Ellen Ann McArdle's death? From the PRONI Will Calendars:
    Mrs Ellen A. McArdle of Lady's Mile Holywood Co. Down widow died 6 October 1945. Proabate Belfast 27 March 1946 to Adrain[sic] Hyland medical doctor and Matthew Ferguson merchant.

There was no image of the will.

She married Mr. McArdle when she was aged about 55 so obviously she had no children and I have not found any evidence of Mr. McArdle and his former wife Mary Ann [see 1911 census] having any children.

I have managed [with assistance] to find deaths of the following siblings of Ellen Ann:
    James - age 40 - 9 March 1908 [I have not found him in 1901 census to determine marital status]
    Peter - age 37 - 1 April 1910 [he can be found in 1901 census with widowed mother and sister Ellen]
    Joseph Col[e]man - [I believe he was born 27 August 1875 {Ireland, Select Births and Baptisms 1620-1911} and from his headstone at Kilwarlin Cemetery indicating his age as 7 that his date of death was 4 February 1883 {not 1893 as transcribed}.

I am still trying to bring closure to the following:
    Thomas Philip - bapt. 23 December 1863
    John Edward - bapt. 11March 1870

18. patten-walsh

There was a marriage in Belfast at St Josephs Ctholic Church 9 Aug 1899 of Patrick McArdle (Sergeant R.I.C) to Mary Ann Kelly (Widow) maiden name Murphy residing in Old Park Road,Belfast.
    Will check for death and any children later.
    Will also look for Thomas Philip and John Edward.
    Yes Joseph Cloeman Devlin died 1883.

19. patten-walsh

A death for a Mary Mcardle attached
    A marriage for Mary Ann Kelly attached
    A marriage for Ellen Ann Devlin attached

The only thing about the death of Mary Ann Mcardle that I don't like is her age as this would mean that she only be 16 when she married and she was already a widow, but all the facts fit as to her husbands name and occupation

Attached Files:

20. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Thank you for these documents. The age is definitely "out of whack" but maybe Patrick was stressed. I think the ages indicated in the 1901 census [40 for Mary Anne] are closer to reality as when she married in 1899 she is indicated as of full age.