McAleer & McMahon

Discussion in 'Lancashire' started by Kirsty Catalano, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Kirsty Catalano

Kirsty Catalano Active Member

Hi there,

I'm following a line of enquiry that I find really interesting. My great-great-grandfather is quite a hard fellow to find. His name is Edward McAleer and he was born around 1840 in Ireland. He married in Australia and named his first son Thomas and his first daughter Marcella. After mucking about on Ancestry some time ago, I came across a marriage record of an Edward McAleer and a Marcella McMahon who were married in Liverpool in 1855. I managed to purchase the certificate and ohh...so many similarities to my family apart from Edward's age. If it was my ancestor, he would have been around 15-18 when he married Marcella however, this fellow was 35 according to the marriage record. I haven't had much luck finding any further information about this couple and their families on Ancestry but I'm wondering if you could find anything (wave that magic wand that you are so good with). :)

The details from the certificate are:

Marriage date: 20 February 1855 in St Mary's Catholic Church in Liverpool, Lancaster.
    Groom: Edward McAleer, 35, Bachelor/Bricklayer, Father John McAleer
    Bridge: Marcella McMahon, 25, Spinster, Father John McMahon
    These guys were living together at the time they were married and I'm wondering if they might have had any children and what their names were. This is really a process of elimination to see if this record fits into my family tree - you never know, it might just be the one!

Any help is greatly appreciated as always.

Kirsty

Attached Files:

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hi Kirsty, welcome in. just a few from Familysearch:

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008
    birth registration:

Patrick Mcaleer: 1857
    Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    James Mcaleer: 1857
    Elizabeth Mcaleer:1859
    Stephen Mcaleer :1859
    What do you have from Australia.

Kirsty Catalano likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

St Marys R C, Liverpool marriages all on line but no baptisms that I can find, except those on Family Search.

Kirsty Catalano likes this.
  4. Kirsty Catalano

Kirsty Catalano Active Member

Hi there,

Thanks for replying! I have a lot of information of my ancestor while he was living in Australia but no emigration record, birth or any other details from his life in Ireland or possibly England. It's like the trail stops so I look for other clues that may lead me to information I hadn't considered might be relevant.

The names that are common within his family are William, Henry, Thomas, James, Marcella, Margaret, Maude, Ilet, Edward, Allen and Albert. Who are the parents of the above birth registrations?

Kirsty