Medical Registers pre 1841

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Les Martels, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

Hi,

Does anyone know of a register for qualified Doctors pre 1841? I have traced a 3 x great uncle who left the UK for US and who may have trained as a Doctor before leaving. My first sighting of his occupation is on the 1850 census where he is described as a Physician. He may have qualified in Philadelphia after his arrival. I do not know when that was but he was married in September 1841 in Philadelphia, so assume it was before then. He was born in 1815 so could easily have trained in either place.

Any pointers for either country would be most welcome.

Elizabeth

2. Yeates

Yeates Active Member

Elizabeth---What was his name and any other particulars you have for him, identification-wise?---Yeates

3. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

Hi Yeates,

His name was William Gardener born 1815 Bristol.

I identified him positively by a death date in the family bible against his name, that did not match any death date in UK. Last week I found an entry on 'Find a Grave' that matched his name and death date, I then found his marriage in Sep 1841 in Philadelphia to Amanda Johnsen. I also have a photograph of a man in a Union soldier's uniform that was identified by another forum as being that of a Paymaster or a Surgeon. I had worked out that of my ancestors, only two were likely, with the strongest being that of William Gardener. His brother George, the other contender, was also a surgeon but was in Bristol at the time of the American Civil War, so everything pointed to William. I have not yet found any information on him as a soldier. His son in law Antonio Angelo, was recruited to the 69th Pennsylvania Regiment but the photograph is that of an older man.

I cannot find an emigration record for him, so thought I would concentrate on the medical training aspect but I suspect that no records were kept this early. I have entries for his brother George but only as a practicing doctor which gives his qualifications and place of training.

So, any ideas please.

Elizabeth

4. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

The UK Medical Registers on Ancestry only start at 1858
    it may be worth taking a look at this:
    www.
    library.rcsed.ac.uk/content/content.aspx?ID=10

5. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

the UK Medical Registers on Ancestry only start in 1858

it may be worth having a look at this: http://www.medicalmuseums.org/family-history/
    and this:
    www.
    library.rcsed.ac.uk/content/content.aspx?ID=10

Am having a bad hair day (or equivalent) posted the previous before I was ready and then couldn't find it to edit it so started over ... well you all see what happened o_O

6. Yeates

Yeates Active Member

Elizabeth---have you seen these references to a William Gardener, MD? One is on familysearch.org and is the death record for an 18-yr-old daughter (Josephine V. Gardener) of a William & Amanda Gardener. Their address (901 Franklin Street, Philadelphia) is the same as that in a city directory of that time (1862.) The directory confirms this address for a William Gardener, MD. There is also a George Gardener, carpenter, on that same directory page.

Death record:
    https://
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J6D7-LJY

Directory:
    http://
    archive.org/stream/mcelroysphiladel1862amce#page/230/mode/2up/search/Gardener+

I know this doesn’t answer your specific questions, however, if the right Gardeners, does give some data points.--Yeates

7. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

8. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the 2 sites you have given me. I have had a quick look but not sure I can find what I am looking for there. There does not seem to be any lists of past members online yet but it has given me the idea to send an e-mail to ask if they could look it up for me. It is probable that if he qualified in UK he may well have done so in London. His younger brother by 4 years became a MRCS of England in 1844 so I think William completed his training around 1840/1. It's worth an e-mail to try.

Many thanks for your interest and say Hi to Mugwort. Brilliant name.

Elizabeth

9. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

10. Les Martels

Les Martels New Member

Hi Yeates,

Thanks for that info, but I found that last week too. It was strange that Josephine was buried at Mount Moriah Cemetery whereas her parents and brother were buried at Laurel Hill Cemetery. Her mother and brother were both transported from Atlantic City to Philadelphia for burial and her brother in law Antonio Angelo was re-interred from Monument Cemetery to Laurel Hill.
    They lived at 901 Franklin for many years but I did not find the 1862 entry.

I am not sure that George Gardener is any relation but I won't rule him out until I am sure.

I will check out Family Search as it may bring forth other information. I had got most of mine off Ancestry.

Thanks again,
    Elizabeth