1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searles family in Essex

Discussion in 'New to Our Forum?' started by Mandy Searles, May 20, 2017.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Forgot to mention.

My five generations of my Fletcher line goes from Ann Maria Fletcher born 1821 in Gt Leighs who married William Searles in 1842 at Gt Leighs, to James Fletcher circa 1715 born/baptised I know not where, he eludes me. I haven't found any of the other Fletcher ancestors or their siblings married to a Searles but then I haven't made much effort to find marriages for those Fletcher ancestor siblings, I do have one or two that I stumbled on by accident.

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Derek. I don't know if it would be any help to you. I have some Fletchers in Scottish highlands from 1640's forward. So far I only have very rough info on them. Perhaps one ventured into Essex?

Findem likes this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks GrannyBarb but I doubt there will be any connection via a Fletcher coming down to Essex from Scotland, I suppose it's within the realms of possibility that an Essex Searles went to Scotland, although I haven't knowledge of that it has to be said that quite a few Searles siblings from Essex are unaccounted for.

My Searles ancestors go back to at least the early 1300s and have been Essex born and appear to have stayed in Essex, some siblings in later years did have itchy feet and emigrate to places such as Australia, Canada and I think America.

In the book by Ken Searles entitled "From Bardfield to Brooke End" Ken notes his theory that the Searles in England may descend from a Norman named Serlo de Marci who come over with William the Conqueror and was given lands in Essex.

So I guess it's fairly safe to rule out any Searles from Scotland being an ancestor of Mandy and myself.

Since the name Fletcher is an occupational derived surname and in the age of bows and arrows there would have many people in the trade of Fletcher, there are no doubt many people with the surname Fletcher whose origins are from many parts of Britain and are unrelated to each other.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

That's what I think, too. However, I thought I'd put it out there as a possibility if you got stuck in one spot, so to speak. Trying to think "outside the box." ;)
    Carry on.

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Sis like this.