Stewart Family in Catherington, Hants.

Discussion in 'Hampshire' started by Ma-dotcom, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

In looking to the STEWARTS of Catherington, Hampshire, I found the baptism of JAMES son of JOHN & ANN STEWART 20th May 1781.
    Followed his Family through to mine.

Probable sister, Jemima- 13 Apr. 1783- private, admitted to the Church 20 Apr 1783, Catherington Pts John & Ann.
    (This name repeated in James' Family)

Ria Stewart,10th Feb. 1776 pts John & Anne Stewart, --'of Lovedean'
    Catherington. (Same Parents or not, Ann/e.) perhaps too early,likely John & Anne Edney who wed in 1764.

In trying to find marriage of John & Ann (isn't everybody?)
    a possible but distant marriage is with JOHN STEWART + ANN LAWRANCE
    9 Feb 1775 - Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
    I have no knowledge of where John was born.

Should I then be trailing through 'Dioceses of the Province of Canterbury' records or is there another way? I've seen none in Sussex as yet but haven't checked marriage disc.

A burial for a John Stewart in Catherington in 1808 - no age given.

Any clues appreciated.

2. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

I have been through the Wilts. FHS Marriage transcripts for Trowbridge Wedny and this marriage doesn't show up. My Hampshire marriage transcript 1754 to 1837 doesn't have a likely John Stewart and Ann apart from the one you mention. (Edney) The Surrey and Sussex MMarriage Indices don't have a likely pair. I cannot see anything obvious on the BMD database for non-conformists.

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Wendy there is a burial record on 23 April 1828 at Catherington for an Ann STUART, aged 84 - could this be Ann nee LAWRENCE? FMP have many STEWART baptisms at Catherington, the earliest for a child of John & Ann(e) STEWART/STUART being in 1765 and the last in 1793. Unless John married twice, this would indicate that the marriage you have found is not the correct marriage. Bingo, FMP also have a likely marriage in 1764 at Catherington for the couple. Could be worth you having a look.

Janet

4. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

That 1764 one is John Stewart and Anne Edney. I thought Wedny had ruled them out as being too early. Not convinced that there are any other candidates at the moment though Janet. If the burial you found was the same lady (and the age on burial correct) she would have been 30 when she married John in 1764. Would she still have been having children in 1783? Just wonderin'.

5. Ma-dotcom

Thank you both. I'm not really fazed by spelling of Ann/e as I've seen both between PRs & BTs. Those chaps often wrote what they thought best or saw in the scrawled writing.

Doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to me Mogsy, we women are hardy & back then they were ridiculously strong & hard wearing.
    I started my 'James' journey from 'George' b. 1897 Rotherhithe & worked backwards. 1901:RG 13/397/6
    Many Baptisms confirmed census records some bapts not found, only censuses.
    So possible also that there were more than one John Stewart in Catherington plus a Stuart Family, even an early born son, John who married & continued the line.

1841: HO107; Piece: 701; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Anne Limehouse; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 16; Page: 24 Limehouse suggest an earlier marriage for James (a Sawyer) than the one reg'd in 1836 to Eliza in Camberwell, but so far haven't found one. Children, First four not born in County, last two in-county. b. Clapham areas. census index has them all born Limehouse. Most bapts found in area.

Sorry many distractions here must try again later. I may well be on wrong track but it's a nice track so far.
    (Recent hint family may have begun in Ireland or Scotland,-perhaps because of name?)

Blackmogs likes this.
  6. janetbooth

The baptisms of the children of John & Ann(e) show the surname to have been spelled 3 different ways: STEWART, STUART & STEWARD and may well refer to children of more than one John & Ann. Can't find an Ann EDNEY baptised in Catherington c1764, the nearest is a Hannah in 1774. In fact there aren't many candidates in Hampshire that I can find for an Ann EDNEY born c1764.

Following back on George born c1896 Rotherhithe in census records I have come to more or less the same conclusion as you Wendy, in that James STEWART, Sawyer, is most likely to be the one born/baptised in Catherington given that his place of birth is shown as Carrington, Hampshire in the 1851 census record of Limehouse. Looking through the baptisms for the children for James & Eliza, the earliest one is an Jemima Anne baptised 2 October 1831 at Clapham daughter of James & Eliza, Sawyer, (via Ancestry London Parish Baptisms) which fits in very well with the 1841 census. There is a burial for Eliza STEWART at St Anne Limehouse on 13 January 1850, aged 52, of Parnham Street (again via Ancestry London Burials) - the STEWART family are very close to Parnham Place in the 1841 census. Had you considered the marriage at St Mary Lambeth on 4 April 1829 of James STEWART, bachelor, & Elizabeth SCHOOLING, spinster, both of the parish by banns. Not sure this has helped very much and is probably only confirming what you already have considered.

Janet

7. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Janet, I also didn't quite know where else to look. there must still be early bmds not online from various districts.
    I chose Eliza Skinner as most likely as Eliza is the name always used in BMDs & censuses. Doesn't mean that it's the right one tho'. They may have married earlier or later or...
    The burial sound very likely, I had these in notes:
    deaths - FreeBMD
    STEWART Eliza Stepney London 1850 Jan-Feb-Mar
    STEWART James Stepney London 1853 Jul-Aug-Sep
    Have so far only found marriages for two children for possible chase ups but having seen a few trees not much is known unless they are keeping it close to their chests. Also appear copied from censuses not seearched BMDs etc.
    One private tree owner may be of help, then again maybe not.

Sad that Electorals are not a lot of help in these early times.
    I wonder if there were any helpful papers for Hampshire before 1830ish which may have useful info?

8. janetbooth

Hi again Wendy,

I have so far found 3 marriages for the children on Ancestry's London Parish Registers. You obviously have 2 already, but will list all of them below:

6 November 1865 at Christ Church St George in the East Samuel Charles STEWART, 25, bachelor, Lighterman, Lucas Street, father James STEWART, Sawyer and Sarah Lydia DOREY, 20, spinster, Commercial Road, father John DOREY, Ship Keeper. Both signed and witnesses were John WILKINSON (marked) & Maria WILKINSON

4 April 1854 at St George in the East George Frederick STEWART, full age, bachelor, Laborer, 14 Denmark Street, father James STEWART, Sawyer, & Margaret ASHWOOD, full age, widow, 15 Denmark Street, father Robert STRONG, Sawyer. Both signed and witnesses were Alfred HALL & Sarah BUCKTHORPE who both signed

26 February 1849 at St Philip Bethnal Green George RIX, 31, bachelor, Baker, 13 Hare Street, father George RIX, Cabinet Maker & Jemima STEWART, 18, spinster, 23 Hare Street, father James STEWART, Sawyer. George marked, Jemima signed and the witnesses were E WISBEY & Caroline BAGGETT who both signed

Will keep looking

Janet

9. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Janet, yes I had the above, one child Eli, it appears died in 1846 Stepney Reg'n. Two others Alfred b. 1832 & Edward b. 1838. not yet found. It's a big world in a tiny Country.
    - misleading, should have said two apart from direct line which was Geo. Fred'k.
    Main concern was being correct in early entries & hope fully finding lead up too James of 1781.

Quite a few trees mention the Rix line, but don't seem to go far back.

Thanks Janet for helping out, hotty over here is not conducive to thinking straight.

10. janetbooth

Oh well, at least the above info confirms what you had already found. I too cannot find anything definite re Alfred & Edward so far - they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth!

I did find an Alfred STEWART in the 1890's Electoral Registers of Clapham living at Queen's Road and also living in Queens Road is an Alfred WISBEY, an E WISBEY being a witness at Jemima's marriage, but that is just clutching at straws I think.

I cannot find any Military records for either of them with any certainty either but will keep looking.

Janet

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  11. Ma-dotcom

Thanks again Janet, both names always fun to find. I'll let them be for a time as I have I believe , the main drift. They'll be a nice bonus later when they pop up somewhere.