Thomas Tonkin of St Agnes

Discussion in 'Cornwall' started by Peregrine, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

I have been working with a gentleman who contacted me as a result of the Big Lad's DNA test, although there does not appear to be a direct connection between him and the big lad there is a distant one.

We have been looking at their Tonkin ancestors. In his tree he has a Thomas Tonkin son of Humphrey Tonkin and Prudence Paull who was baptised at 16 Dec 1754 at St Agnes; see https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWF6-LY3. But I noticed another baptism on FamilySearch of a Thomas baptised 4 Nov 1755 at St Agnes with the father's name transcribed as Huon; see https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NBQ3-Y2W.

Thinking that Huon could be mistaken for Hum/Hump, which Humphrey seems to be shortened to on the registers I checked the images and had my contact look at them too. And I think it may be the case, but if anyone can make out Tonkin as the surname from the 1755 baptism they have better eyes than my contact and I. I am wondering whether the 1755 Thomas is a sibling born after the death of the 1754 Thomas. Of course, finding a burial (or not) would be useful too and we have not as yet. If not, we have two Thomases born at a similar time and trying to split them apart will prove extremely difficult.

The images are on the same page of the register but I will attach the entries below. Thomas Tonkin son of Humphrey Tonkin christening 17 Dec 1654 St Agnes 2.JPG Thomas Tonkin son of Humphrey Tonkin christening 17 Dec 1654 St Agnes 3.JPG

2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Squinting at the attached images above, after having read what you wrote, it looks just as you said. Not helpful. Sorry. :oops:

3. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

I noticed on the Opc site, where transcriptions don't start until 1760, that there are Tonkin baptisms with father Hugh. Is it possible that this is the father's name here. As for the surname on the second baptism all I can see for sure is the 'ki' in the middle which is inconclusive, sorry.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Also almost found 'Hugh' but not convinced- Irfanview didn't prove it either. Tonkin yes.

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I think the first, 17th December 54 is Hugh. At first glance it looks Haa? but with further squinting, standing back, looking from all angles, I believe HUGH with the tail of the 'g' faded and the 'h' barely there.
    The same with the other, HUGH just very faded.