Tom Brown's Schooldays

Discussion in 'Education' started by The Artful Dodger, Dec 16, 2013.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

OK folks - I've read the book - and now I'm researching a real-life person who was educated at Rugby School and appears on the 1861 census as a 15 year old Pupil.

The headmaster was Charles Thomas Arnold.

My person left in 1864 and was shortly thereafter admitted to Trinity College, Cambridge where he obtained a B.A. in 1868 and an M.A. in 1874.

He married and his wife died in 1879 and after her death he joined the Army as a Lieutenant and retired with the rank of Major.

I know that both schools are well documented on the internet but I am interested in determining what his life would have been like at both schools between 1860 and 1874.

Has anyone done a study of these schools or has knowledge of the life and times of students that could assist me?

Thanks

Colin

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Have you had a look at the Rugby school website? The section on the history of the school makes good reading: rugbyschool.net/history

The archives of Trinity College Cambridge are also interesting: trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=788

Perhps an email to both educational establishments might glean more. :)

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

How about The book of Rugby School: its history and its daily life, by Edward Meyrick Goulburn (published in 1856). You can find it on Google Books:

http://
    books.google.co.uk/books?id=YwkCAAAAYAAJ

Jodakist and The Artful Dodger like this.
  4. Jodakist

Jodakist New Member

Thank you for the link to this book; one of my ancestors was a trustee of Rugby School in 1658 and several family members have been pupils there, so I found this book interesting to read.

Sis, Doug, Huncamunca and 1 other person like this.