West Riding Alehouse Records

Discussion in 'Brewers & Licensed Victuallers' started by Bay Horse, May 14, 2015.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Those nice people at West Yorkshire Archive Service have today made 75,000 alehouse records available on Ancestry.

To quote WYAS from their website:

"Alehouse licences (launched May 2015)
    This database comprises selected alehouse licence registers, 75,000 historic alehouse records covering the years 1771-1962. They give the names of landlords and their respective establishments. Each records gives details of names of landlords, residences, dates and locations of the alehouse, together with dates when licences were issued, renewed or transferred."

Joanne, Doug, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  2. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

The records are great, wonderful for me. I saw the notification on Ancestry's FB page and went immediately to search. They are easy to search, can be searched by either alehouse name, or licensee.

My 2 x great grandfather ran an alehouse in Huddersfield and from these records I've discovered the premises were owned by his brother. :)

ETA: just found my Dad there too, we moved into a public house in 1954. I'm feeling rather ecstatic. 8(:-)

Joanne, Doug, Ma-dotcom and 4 others like this.
  3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

There seems to be a lot around Hudd, but nothing for the pub in Halifax which my ancestor ran for decades.

Well done in finding 2nd g-g and Dad, though, Mealymoo. ;)

I had better luck with the new Occupation and Apprenticeship Records released in the same batch. Two ancestors working for Crossley's carpets. :)

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and Mealymoo like this.
  4. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

That is good news. [afraid not for me though] Thanks for letting us know.
    We do - albeit slowly get more on-line information now. Which is a vast help

Ma-dotcom, Mealymoo and Bay Horse like this.
  5. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

What a disappointment, Bay Horse, to not find your pub in Halifax.......maybe it is in the database but not indexed; my Dad was a licensee in a pub in Holmfirth from 1954 - 1958 and then licensee from 1958 in a pub in Huddersfield district, I haven't found him for 1958 onwards but I intend to keep looking.

Thus far I've had no luck with the Apprenticeship Records - I'll keep trying.

Joanne, Ma-dotcom and Bay Horse like this.