Which ship?

Discussion in 'Migration & Shipping' started by Elaine Cottle, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Nelbothery was a large hydraulic sluicing mine 14 miles from Bombala on the road to Delegate. It drew water from the Little Plains River.
    Wallagate mentioned in post #40 is I believe 'Wallagoot'. It is situated in Bournda National Park far south coast of NSW near Tathra and Bega. Took some doing to figure it out and if I don't get first prize in geography then something's wrong. I now know every inch of the far south coast and the high country......:)

Bay Horse, GrannyBarb and MollyMay like this.
  2. Elaine Cottle

Elaine Cottle Active Member

Hi, he say's left Little Plains. After trying sometime for work got work at Telagate Mines Sluicing, Nelbothery. Stayed until Company went Bung, 3 months work at good Wages. Then 12 months at digging and other work. April 2nd left Little Planes and got work at M very unsure could end with da or la for a Mrs Munn until July 1885, then is Wallagoot north of Bega instead of Wallagate, he could have written down the wrong name. Thankyou it is awesome to know about these places, just awesome. Elaine

Ma-dotcom and Archie's Mum like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Well I know them now! Had no idea before you came along :)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Two newspaper letters to the editor in 1886 have an A.L. Munn as maizena (cornflour) growers from Merimbula.

5. Archie's Mum

Another option for 'Munmbula' is Mumbulla. Although there doesn't seem to be a particular place called by that name there is 'Mumbulla Shire'. It is a district on the northern side of the Bega River and encompasses Bega township. There is also Mumbulla Mountain. I think this is more likely what he was talking about rather than Merimbula.
    On the southern side of the river is the parish of Wallagoot, County of Auckland.
    Wallagoot itself is an area in the national park (although it wasn't a national park back then but probably a cattle run) on the coast but east of Bega near Thathra.
    There is no Wallagate here at all but there is one in England. Maybe he got the names confused.

6. Elaine Cottle

Hi I think you are right, it was at Merimbula that he worked for to me his writing looks like a w but yes A L Munn. He worked there April to July 1895 then rented a farm for a year doesn't give date, but he then goes back to A L Munn for 3 months, no date but moves onto Pambula Pipe Clay Creek for 6 month's. My Nana was born 07/01/1897 in Pipe Clay Creek, Then left for NZ 10/04/1897, not sure what port or boat. I wonder if my Great Grand Mother Margaret left Tasmania with him, and was on this journey with him, or met up with him at some time, He say's he was a widow in 1895, but George his first son was born in 1894, then my Nana in 1897. Margaret must have really loved him to follow him on his journey not knowing where there next meal was or there next stop was and with 2 babies also. I still wonder about his first wife, did she pass away in 1895, was there any children. I did search NSW deaths and found one in 1894 with mother and fathers name. I wonder if I could see it any other way, than paying for it and maybe finding it is not her. A million thankyou's I am finding out so much and am writing things down too. Yours truly Elaine

Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

8. Elaine Cottle

Please forgive me just wondering if you have found anymore information on the Smith family history. I am trying so hard to find out what happened to Herbert's first wife Annie Smith nee Plant. Did you pass away in 1895? Did they have any children? or did she travel back to England? Did she re-marry? So many Annie Smith's. Thankyou so much. Would be awesome just to finish the puzzle, yours truly Elaine. p.s, loved to know about the other brothers as well if possible.

9. Archie's Mum

Sorry Elaine, nothing more as yet. I feel Annie may just be that. A puzzle.
    She may have taken up with someone else as well and changed her name as Margaret did but did not marry. Will have a look back at previous posts and see what else can be found on Herbert's family.
    Not today though, just got back from a 6am start and 480 kilometres. A bit shattered we are :(

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

I've made no progress with finding Annie either, I'm afraid.

I think we can probably rule out Annie Smith daughter of William & Elizabeth, whose death was registered in 1894 in the Inverell district. From the 'Australia Deaths and Burials' index on FamilySearch this Annie was born about 1841, making her quite a bit older than your Annie.

The index says she was from near Elsmore, died 11 February 1894 and was buried at Sacred Heart cemetery, Inverell. So she may be the 'Mrs. Thomas Smith, of Elsmore, who died on Sunday morning after a long and painful illness' according to the Armidale Express of Friday 16 February 1894.

I have a few bits and pieces somewhere about Herbert's brothers and will post them later - some Sunday chores to do first though :(

11. Archie's Mum

This entry bothers me somewhat.
    Why would he put in his own diary 'Herbert Smith son of I Smith'
    When I read this the first time it appeared that it was something copied from a newspaper or such. That is....that his wife who was still living at Portland was looking for him and describing him as Herbert Smith son of I Smith, last address Portland Mudgee Line. Or something to that effect.

12. Elaine Cottle

Hi thankyou so much for all the help. On the bank page of his diary, He gives his name and son of I Smith, then his England address, then if H smith should be killed or found died please let the above know, H.S.Smith Sept 1884. I will have to look back at the post when they arrived in Sydney, if he wrote this on Sept 1884. Could he have left his wife by then to go on his own journey for work. I know is 1st wife, I am only going buy his 2nd marriage says he was a widow in 1985. But we really don't know, she could have boarded a boat back to England, or married again also. Thanks heaps Elaine

13. Huncamunca

Herbert's brother Walter Andrew Smith

Born about 1852 according to the 1861 census, when he was with his parents in Coventry. So far I haven't found him on any English censuses after that. There is a 28 year old Walter Smith in Coventry in 1881, a young widower with three small boys - but he's still in Coventry in 1891 (now with a new wife and more children).

Your Walter was in Canada by 1884. The 'Ontario Births 1869-1912' record set on FamilySearch has images of entries in birth registers for Annie May Smith (b.1884, Markham, York, Ontario), Ethel Victoria Smith (b.1885, Louth, Lincoln, Ontario) and Flora Louisa Smith (b.1887, Beamsville, Lincoln, Ontario) daughters of Walter A. Smith and Catherine (Hartt).

Here are Walter, Catherine and their three daughters on the 1891 and 1901 censuses:
    http://
    data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1891/jpg/30953_148152-00719.jpg

http://
    data2.collectionscanada.ca/1901/z/z002/jpg/z000079777.jpg

His religion is given as Disciple in 1891 and Diciple in 1901.

From his death record (which I mentioned in an earlier post) we know Walter was buried at Fairview Cemetery on 5 November 1924. You can see a photograph of a memorial to him and his wife on this site:
    https://www.
    niagarafalls.ca/city-hall/municipal-works/cemetery/genealogy/default.aspx

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Elaine Cottle

Hi yes I do believe that that Herbert's brother is the Walter and wife Catherine Smith, as my Nana use to write to them in Canada, Niagara Falls. Herbert visited him there when he was about 15, then again when he was 79 years old, from a paper clipping I have got. It seems Walter and Herbert where quite good friends. In doesn't mention anywhere his other two brother's at all. I believe that the family was very religious as one brother was a missionary and I believe Walter called himself a disciple. I don't know anything about Edwin at all except he married a sister of Herbert's 1st wife.

I wonder if we searched about Edwin, just a long shot, we may found out what happened to Herbert's 1st wife. Just a thought. A letter from Herbert's mum called Herbert the black sheep of the family, my brother has that letter and he is trying to find it, so I could have a good read of it. Thankyou so much much, this is awesome. Your's truly Elaine

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Huncamunca

Ooh, I hope your brother can find the letter, that sounds exciting! Also perhaps if Herbert and his brothers were writing to one another then there may be surviving letters in other branches of the family too?

So it's definitely worth trying to tracing downwards from each of the other brothers. I'll post about Edwin later (he stayed in England). I think Arthur who was the London City Missionary died in England also - can't remember if I've posted details of his children but will check back later.

Have to get ready for work now, but just before I go, here is a little more on Walter's family. His daughters' marriages (all at Niagara Falls) can be found in 'Ontario Marriages' on FamilySearch:
    • Annie May Smith to Thomas Lorne Howey in 1907
    • Flora Louisa Smith to Fritz Leo Mouland in 1910
    • Ethel Victoria Smith to Albert James Kite in 1911
    From FamilySearch I see that Annie's first husband, Thomas Lorne Howey, died in the Spanish influenza epidemic in 1918 as did such an unimaginable number of other people. :( His gravestone and some Mouland ones can be found on the Niagara Falls cemetery site mentioned earlier.

16. Huncamunca

A bit more about Isaac & Ann

The 1861 census seems to be the last one where Isaac and Ann are together. Isaac was 45 on that census so he may well be the 55 year old Isaac Smith, 'formerly ribbon weaver' who was an inmate in Coventry workhouse in 1871.

There were many other former ribbon weavers in the workhouse. The ribbon weaving industry in Coventry, which had employed a great many people, had collapsed by this time I believe.* There's lots online about the industry. Here are some photographs of some of the ribbons from a museum in Coventry:

http://www.
    theherbert.org/collections/social-industrial-history/silk-ribbon-weaving

*but I think the name-tapes we had in our school uniform were made by Cash's of Coventry and that would have been 1960s/70s not 1860s!

But I digress. Back to the Smiths. While Isaac was in the workhouse, Ann was in London. In 1871, Ann Smith (52, a monthly nurse, born Coventry) was in Whitmore Road, Shoreditch St Leonard with a Robert Hopkins, 58, watchmaker (RG 10/463, f.39, p.18). He's unmarried, she's married. I can't make out what it says for her relationship to him:
    Ann Smith 1871.JPG

Also in the household are boarders Edwin Smith, 21, book binder, and Robert Smith, 13, grocer's errand boy, both born in Coventry. I suspect Robert is really Herbert.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  17. Huncamunca

Edwin Smith & Maria (Plant)

Edwin went back to Coventry to get married to Maria Plant (see above somewhere). They seem to have moved around quite a bit to judge from their children's birthplaces. In 1881 they are in Sheffield (RG 11/4630, f.121, p.4):
    Edwin Smith, head, 30, general dealer & grocer, b. Warwickshire Coventry
    Maria Smith, wife, 29, b. Warwickshire Coventry
    Walter Hy ", son, 3, b. Middlesex London
    Arthur Wm ", son, 1, b. Yorkshire Swinton​

And in 1891 they are back in London, at 28 Pine Street, Clerkenwell (sorry I gave up writing down the census references at this point):
    Edwin Smith, head, 41, bookbinder's forwarder b. Warwick Coventry
    Maria ", wife, 41, b. " "
    Arthur ", son, 11, scholar, b. Yorkshire Swinton
    Edwin ", ", 4, b. London Clerkenwell
    Isaac ", father [married], 74, silkweaver, b. Warwick Coventry
    Albert Cover, lodger, 17, merchant's clerk, b. Surrey Bletchingley​

The lodger may well be a relation of Arthur Smith's wife, Victoria Cover.
    In 1901 Edwin & Maria are still in London, with sons Arthur (21, a brass moulder) and Edwin (14). In 1911 (still at 28 Pine Street) they have their eldest son Walter and youngest son - here called Edwin Albert Smith - with them, both still single.

More about Edwin & Maria's children
    Walter Henry Smith
    - born 26 October 1877 according to his baptism record on Ancestry (baptised at Clerkenwell St James on 2 Nov 1877). There are First World War army service records for Walter Henry Smith on Ancestry. He was a 38 year old book packer on attestation in November 1916. Gives his next-of-kin as father Edwin Smith of 1 Upper Yardley Street, Wilmington Square W.C., so Edwin was still alive then.

23 year old Arthur William Smith (son of Edwin Smith, bookbinder) married Ellen Ada Walton on 20 January 1902 at Clerkenwell St James. On the 1911 census they are in Walthamstow in Essex with two sons (they said they had had four children altogether by then, but two had died).

Edwin Albert Smith born about 1887. On the 1911 census he is a canvasser ('incandescent mantles'), working on own account.

It's very hard to pick out likely death registrations when there are so many Smiths. If Edwin & Maria stayed in the Clerkenwell area then these may be their death registrations:
    • Maria Smith, 72, Holborn district, first quarter of 1920
    • Edwin Smith, 74, Holborn district, first quarter of 1924
    These death registrations do seem to fit with the dates when Edwin & Maria disappear from electoral registers (from Ancestry):

1 Upper Yardley Street
    1919 electoral register: Edwin & Maria Smith
    1920, 1921, 1923: Edwin & Walter Henry Smith
    1924: Walter Henry Smith

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Archie's Mum likes this.
  18. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Could it say Visitor?

Ma-dotcom, dizzyme and Huncamunca like this.
  19. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Ooo, Jane! What great work on sorting out Smith's! :)

Huncamunca likes this.
  20. Huncamunca

It certainly does look like it might end in 'tor', and there probably is at least one 'i' in the word . . . unless that's a stray dot :confused:

Daft Bat likes this.