Will of John Skinner

Discussion in 'Wills & Probate' started by annabel, Sep 14, 2017.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

John Skinner is a potential ancestor.
    I have previously put a note against him on my tree, probably from another tree I now cannot find.
    It says he died 3rd March 1847 in Upper Bentley, Bentley Pauncefoot, Tardebigge, Worcestershire, and that he was a farmer and left a will. I estimate he was born around 1775

I'm rubbish at finding wills, and so far I've found nothing. Where should i look?

2. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Worcestershire wills before 1858 are held at the Worcester RO. I don't think they are online

annabel likes this.
  3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

He appears to get a mention in the index to Death Duty Registers at FindMyPast. Copies of the actual register can be obtained from the National Archives - at a price - and are sometimes useful for finding the whereabouts of beneficiaries. TNA has a guide for getting from the information in the index to the number needed to order the record - it's slightly tricky.

annabel, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

In the Death Duty register it states that the executor was John Skinner of Solihull, Warks. and the will was proved at Worcester

annabel, Sis and Blackmogs like this.