Joseph Morris Convict

Discussion in 'Criminal Ancestors' started by Chimp, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Can anyone find what became of the above named chap.

Convicted at: Herefordshire, Hereford Assizes - 25 Mar 1865
    Conviction: Shooting with intent
    Sentence term: 20 years
    Ship: Corona
    Departure date: 13th October, 1866
    Arrival date: 22nd December, 1866
    Place of arrival: Western Australia
    Passenger manifest: Travelled with 305 other convicts

His crime:-
    Merthyr Telegraph - 7th January 1865
    SHOOTING A WIFE AT PRESTEIGNE.— APPREHENSION AND ATTEMPTED SUICIDE OF THE PRISONER--It will be remembered that in October last a deserter form one of her Majesty's regiments, named Morris, shot his wile at a place called Kinsham, near Presteigne, the charge of the gun tearing away the scalp and part of the scull, and so injured the woman that death was for some days expected to result therefrom. Singular to relate that although the brain was disturbed the woman recovered. The husband at once decamped, and all efforts to capture him till Saturday last had proved unavailing; It seems that Morris had carried the gun about with him, determined to shoot anyone who should attempt his apprehension. For some time past it was thought he had returned to the vicinity of his home, and accordingly Superintendent Massey, at Presteigne, took means to ascertain if this was a fact. A watch was set, and last night it was ascertained that a person answering the description of Morris had been seen to go in the direction of the cottage where his wife lived. A cordon of police were summoned, the house surrounded, and Morris captured and conveyed to Presteigne gaol, where be was locked up in one of the cells previous to taking him before the magistrate today for examination. They had only left the cell a short time before they heard a peculiar noise proceeding from the same, and on going thither found that the prisoner had tied the one end of his neckcloth tightly round his neck, the other round the grating, and had succeeded in nearly strangling himself. He was immediately cut down and medical aid summoned. Life was found to be nearly extinct, and when our parcel was despatched be was not considered out of danger.

Lancaster Gazette - 7th January 1865
    THE ATTEMPTED MURDER NEAR PRESTEIGNE—On Saturday at noon, the man Joseph Morris, who had been apprehended on the charge of shooting his wife at Kinshan near Presteigne, was brought up before the magistrates at Kington. The prisoner, who attempted to commit suicide in Presteigne gaol immediately after his apprehension, appeared in a very weak state, congestion of the brain having been produced by strangulation, and was allowed to sit down. The first witness called was his wife, Elizabeth Morris, who underwent a long examination, and said—On the 13th of October last the prisoner, who is my husband, asked me to leave my home. I was then residing with my father, where he said he had not much comfort. I refused to do so because my mother was ill. On the following day he took s shilling from my father's pocket, and I followed him across a field, and asked him to give it me back. He came over the edge to me, and I then saw he had a gun. He said to me, "I will end all disputes ;" and fearing he would do something, I laid hold of the weapon with both hands, and exclaimed, "If you mean that I will soon have further assistance." He replied, "I ain't going to shoot thee, dear." I thereupon loosed the gun, and walked across the road, and stooped down to wash my hands at a spring of water. I had not been many minutes in that position before the gun went off, and I felt that I was shot in the head, I became senseless, and when I came to myself the prisoner was standing in the road with the gun in his hand. He said, "Go and fetch the policeman." Mr. Tearne and George Brown came up and assisted me home Prisoner then absconded, but returned in the course of the night and asked to see me but my sister told him he had better go away. Prisoner went away, but returned on the Sunday, and she asked him what he did it for, and he replied that he did not intend to shoot, but thought to frighten me. He said he was sorry for what he had done, and cried very much. Last Tuesday prisoner returned to my father's house, and while be was there Superintendent Massey entered and took him into custody. When I followed the prisoner through the field on the 14th October I told him if he did not give me the shilling he had taken out of my father's pocket I would fetch a policeman. The bonnet (produced) is that which I had on when I was shot. Other evidence having been given, the prisoner was asked if he desired to ask the witnesses any questions, and he faintly said " No." On the charge being read over to him he said, "I have nothing to say here at all." He was then fully committed for trial at the next Herefordshire assizes on the charge of having attempted to murder his wife, Elisabeth Morris.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

On the road today and can't get good reception but it looks like you have a choice of two. One Joseph Morris age 62 died in WA in 1882 and another age 63 died in 1883 both have unknown parents. No marriages found. I have a feeling that both these registrations refer to the same man

Chimp and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Joseph Morris, -40-b.1825 arrived 1865 in W.A. on the Corona
    after trial in Hereford
    died 11.5.1882 Bunbury of dysentry & liver disease

Chimp and Archie's Mum like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

He was 41 on arrival in 1866 so the age is pretty close

Chimp and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

Snap :)

Chimp likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Details in members iiNet of the passengers and convicts on the Corona have that the age stated is most likely that at conviction. So almost a perfect fit to be your Joseph Morris. Occupation identical.

Chimp likes this.