Any badge experts?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by MarkJ, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

It looks very much like a ship's wheel and the only badges that I have seen like that have the name of the ship mentioned. :(

3. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats what I thought, but no idea. Apparently that is a Kings Crown at the top. Maybe a WW2 On War Service type thing? Dunno....

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've been visiting some beaut site for "badges- sailing clubs-+ Royal or + Crown +ship's wheel-+Cornwall. Lots or similars but not quite close.
    Could it be for a 'private' club perhaps Royally approved or a local club? What would the 'P' represent? & do you know what the letters at the base are? Also the cloud like bit above them.

It's very pretty, but then men did wear sparkly bits too.

5. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Not Cornwall Wendy. The various pieces I have came from my wife's aunt and uncle who lived in Sneinton, Nottingham. As far as I am aware, they were not involved with sailing at all, but who can tell!
    I know the uncle was in the Royal Army Ordnance Corps - which is why we have his various badges etc here now, but this one doesn't seem to fit at all with the rest.

P or R? At first I saw it as a stylised GR, but why VIII (that is what is at the bottom - roman numerals for 8) ? Eight? Eight what?

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

I've have a couple of illustrated books of British Army badges covering the periods of Queen Victoria to Elizabeth II and there's nothing like that in my books.

The look of the badge plus the coloured enameling on it suggests it is from the private arena, perhaps as Wendy suggest a sailing club or perhaps from a private company such as a shipping line , Ferry/Tug Boat company etc.

As it is not too big and without seeing the fastening method could it be a ladies broach. It also put me in mind of what was called "Sweetheart broaches" replicas of service badges but having coloured enamel, designed for servicemen to give their sweethearts or/and wives. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

I do have a rather lovely RAOC "sweetheart" brooch with coloured enamelling on it which made me wonder.... but this particular badge/brooch isn't RAOC or any other forces badge that I can tell.

Private is quite likely the answer I suspect. Obvoiously has some Royal patronage as there is the crown at the top. Will ask the wife if she recalls Uncle Ted being involved in any sailing activity. From memory, after the war he worked for the electricity or gas board or something...
    Auntie worked for Players tobacco I believe.

8. Findem

Could be a private company perhaps for some special occasion having commemorative badges for employees made, perhaps Sweetheart type brooches for employee's ladies.

9. Ma-dotcom

I see now the 'R' Mark.the shine hid it earlier..the lower part of which made V11 hard to decipher..Regina? Royal?
    As Findem suggests it has the look of a Ladies special or maybe an anniversary badge. Of course there won't be anything on the back to assist, hmm?
    Edward 8th was around then was he not? Perhaps old boys club from colledge
    days, he did go to colledge or such I guess?

10. Findem

From what I can see of it, the stylish letters look like the cipher of King George VI, the crown is certainly that called the King's Crown which was used on military badges of WWII and up to the time I joined in 1955. Sometime around 1956 our REME badges with the "King's Crown" were exchanged for a badge with the crown used by Queen Elizabeth II, from memory it's called the King Edward crown. I didn't like the new badge the crown was too large and in my opinion look out of proportion.

We always had two cap badges, one to wear and one kept solely for display when inspection times came around, the second (display) badge we had to purchase, so my spare with the King's Crown was tucked safely away and when I was demobbed came home with me, still got it.

Joanne likes this.
  11. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I don't suppose the badge is silver and therefore carries a hallmark? At least that way you would get a date to help in identification. I have had a rootle around and must admit to being completely stumped. I would be tempted to contact various establishments (like the Imperial War Museum) with a picture of the badge and see what they say.

Ann

12. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

What is the lettering in blue please. it seems to be reflecting and I can't get a good look. Is that a 'P' in red at the top? Did he work on a Royal Yacht:D

13. Ma-dotcom

Have a look at # 5 sue.

14. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Markj, I think is a badge/broach issued by Players to employees or even a give away commemorating let's say their Royal Appointment or X years in business.

AnnB likes this.
  15. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I think the lettering is 'P' with a really fancy 'Co' beneath it.

I agree with Hilda that it may have been issued by Players for some special occasion

[edit] perhaps it was the 8th annual company cruise ;) :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    HildaW likes this.
  16. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

Ahh! Players may well be the answer as Auntie worked there for many years. Commemoration of Edward VIII probably?
    Looks like I will be researching for a while yet!

Thanks everyone for your input - really good to let the community here have a look!

Mark

Daft Bat likes this.
  17. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

HildaW, Joanne, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  18. MarkJ

MarkJ Well-Known Member

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  19. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Maybe try an antique shop,they may have others or seen it before?

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  20. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Maybe Players did a badge to go with there "navy cut" brand for a special occasion?

HildaW, Sis and Findem like this.