Mary Robotham, born ca 1798

Discussion in 'Staffordshire' started by Bonzo Dog, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Mary is my 3X great grandmother and her YOB as inferred from census returns and burial record is a bit like a radio carbon dating exercise. These records give her YOB as 1798 ± 3. Census returns however consistently give her place of birth as Draycott in the Clay.

According to sources such as Genuki she would most likely been baptised at Hanbury and indeed there is a record dated 18 November 1798 for the baptism of Mary, daughter of John Robotham and Elizabeth (Phillips). Problem is another record, dated 16 September 1798 for Mary, daughter of John Robotham and Sarah (Hardy).

Mary moved to Middleton, Warwickshire, where she married Daniel Davis in 1826. They then moved to Wishaw, Warwickshire, where she died in 1874.

Is it possible to determine which of the 2 baptismal records is for "my" Mary?

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Any clues in the names of Mary's daughters (if any)?

Have you looked to see if either of the girls died as children, in Hanbury?

3. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

A few more ideas . . .
    • Hope that one of the John Robothams left a will mentioning his daughter Mary, wife of Daniel Davis, or that there are other wills which will help piece together the family history.
    • If both Marys survived to adulthood, what happened to the one who didn't marry Daniel Davis? By following up her you may find a mention of relatives which will tell you which family she belongs to.
    • Look to see if any other Robothams were in Middleton: might other members of Mary's family moved there too?
    • Look for connections in the names of witnesses at other Robotham marriages.
    Hope this helps . . . good luck!

Bonzo Dog and Blackmogs like this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Difficult this one, isn't it. No relatives of Mary are witnesses at her marriage to Daniel DAVIS and no helpful relative living with Daniel & Mary in any of the census records. The names of all the children baptised to John & Elizabeth and John & Sarah are pretty common with perhaps the exception of the Jonathan to John & Elizabeth and the Richard to John & Sarah and even they are not particularly unusual. The only uncommon name for any of Daniel & Mary's children is that of Sampson. I was hoping it could perhaps be a surname used as a forename but it looks as if Daniel DAVIS's parents are a William DAVIS & Sarah GODDERIDGE who married in Middleton in 1800 and John ROBOTHAM married a Sarah PHILLIPS at Hanbury in 1779. The other John looks as if he may have married a Sarah HARDY in 1796 at Burton on Trent - no SAMPSON surname there, but of course it may have been at least another generation back.

The John ROBOTHAM who was married to Sarah looks to be alive and kicking in the 1851 census of Yoxhall living with daughter and son in law Elizabeth & William SLATER and is shown as a widowed Retired Clerk, aged 79, born Draycott. He and Sarah are in the 1841 census of Yoxhall as well (HO107/976/27, folio 50, page 13) but no helpful relatives.

I wonder if either of the John ROBOTHAM's made a will at all - that could be another avenue for you to research.

Will try to trace some of the other children in census records and marriage records to see if that throws any further illumination.

Janet

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  5. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Had a quick snoop on PCC wills nothing that fits for Rowbothom or Rowbottom Haven't got time to try more variants. I am looking for Worcestershire or Staffodshire is that right? There are a few in Yorkshire and lots in Surrey.

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  6. janetbooth

The John ROBOTHAM who married Sarah was baptised at Hanbury on 10 February 1772 son of Francis & Elizabeth ROBOTTOM according to Hugh Wallis's IGI site which fits in with the 1851 census record and the fact that their first son was named Francis. From the same source, the other John may have been baptised on 21 January 1754 at Hanbury, parents John & Jane ROBOTHAM. John ROBOTHAM married Jane SANT at Hanbury on 29 December 1746.

Ancestry Select Baptisms show the baptism of a John ROBOTHAM at Hanbury on 15 July 1821, mother Mary ROBOTHAM - could this be the other Mary?? And could this be the same John ROBOTHAM in the 1851 census of Darlaston (HO107/2022, folio 457, page 4) a Shoe Maker married to an Ann with children Sarah & John and could the Sarah be named after John's grandmother - all very speculative I'm afraid!

FindmyPast has actual parish register images for some baptisms, marriages and burials at Hanbury including quite a few ROBOTHAM's which may prove useful to you at some time in the future. It is pay per view but could perhaps help you to sort out your ROBOTHAM family.

Janet

Bonzo Dog and Blackmogs like this.
  7. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Nice work Janet :D

8. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Looking at the original register for 1798 there is a little extra information:

Sepr 16 Mary Daughr of John & Sarah Robotham - Draycot

Novr 18 Mary daughr of John & Elizath Robotham Bulls(?) Park

But Bull's Park may be part of Draycott so that doesn't really help :(
    http://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~laetoli/draycotttithemap.jpg

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  9. Bonzo Dog

Firstly, thanks everyone for your interest and efforts. There is a curious set of coincidences here with another 3X great-grandmother. She was also called Mary and was baptised on the same day at the same church as her 1st or 2nd cousin Mary, and the mothers are named as Sarah and Elizabeth. This was sorted by information from a descendant of Elizabeth's daughter. As our 2 family lines showed no common features we agreed it was a reasonable assumption that my 4X great-grandmother was Sarah. Was rather hoping things would turn to be a case of lightning striking twice!!

A Mary Robotham was buried at Hanbury in 1821 but her MI isn't on a list of transcripts I found some time ago. Whether the new records on FMP shed any further light here I don't know, but I shall be buying some credits to take a look.

Middleton isn't all that far from where I live. The churchyard has long since been vandalised in the name of health and safety and there are few headstones remaining. The town library has the church records FTV and unless I have missed something, Mary is the only Robotham to have turned up in Middleton. She possibly worked in some capacity at Middleton Hall, where Daniel's father and 2 of his brothers worked as shoe makers. The hope here is that my granddaughter can be bribed to "baby sit" her grandma next month while I pay a visit to the Hall, more in hope than expectation.

Again, many thanks to everyone, I'll keep you posted if there are any developments.

10. janetbooth

Please do, and good luck!

Janet

11. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Don't know if you looked in to this BD. But her burial states that she was four years old and from Draycot.

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  12. Bonzo Dog

Thank you Sis. Found the burial record some time ago and have managed to deduce she is a niece of the Mary I'm not descended from.

Sis likes this.