NSW storm

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Londoner, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Last winter we had a similar report...maybe our forecasters are related. :eek: ( It is snowing here in Ontario today.)

Sis likes this.
  2. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

The wind was dreadful up here in the Mountains. I have noticed that there are a lot of trees down again. Luckily we only lost power for a very short time. The temps up here have been about 10 to 14 deg. at night. The sun is out right now, but I get the feeling that it won't last.

3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Or a paddle wheel?

Sis likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Don't know when to stop do it?

5. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

It's just a bit of water. We got off lightly thanks be. All will dry out in time. Time to clean the garage up anyway.

Ma-dotcom, Joanne and Sis like this.
  6. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Either that or he read it in the Daily Mail.

On a more serious note, just hope the storms don't move down to pay you a visit. Keep safe, warm, and dry. Will be thinking of you.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  7. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Just catching up with this thread. Thinking kind thoughts about you all and hope you all remain safe.:angel::angel:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. spison

spison Well-Known Member

Well it was fun to say the least!

I'm in the Hunter. My son's house was flooded (due to drains being unable to empty because of the water volume and pressure where they were emptying (If that makes sense)). I've had no internet so was very lucky as I didn't lose power. My parents finally got power back on yesterday morning so were over 48 hours with none. Their neighbours still have none as a tree took out the pole and everything was sheared off. All the mobiles in our area stopped working as the power outages were so prolonged and extensive that the batteries in the towers ran flat so nothing could be sent (or I think that this was what the explanation meant). I have acquaintances in Dungog who lost everything. So sad for them but they were safe (and rescued from the verandah awning at 1 in the morning).

I heard from a Queensland couple who experienced this storm that it was horrid but didn't measure up to a tropical cyclone. Well I won't be moving to bl***y Queensland I can tell you! I have to say that the screaming wind is by far the worst sound. We had a similar storm nearly 8 years ago when we had a container ship washed up on one of our beaches. I'm getting sick of worrying when someone tells me that we have an 'east coast low' approaching!

Jane

9. Archie's Mum

You've been on my mind Jane, no way I'm ever moving to Queensland either thank you. It wasn't as bad here as up you way but still quite frightening with that wind howling about in the middle of the night. Heard that bush rats are now invading homes as they can smell the rotting food in powerless fridges and freezers. Can't imagine having no power for that long. What a mess. Some very sad loss of life due to cars being washed away in flood waters.
    Sending thoughts to your friends in Dungog. I thought my garage flood was bad enough caused also by stormwater drains in the street behind us. Just too much unrelenting water.

Joanne, Bonzo Dog, Ma-dotcom and 5 others like this.
  10. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

Queensland is lovely. Must admit I have'nt gone through a cyclone and fortunately the 2011 floods stopped about 8ks away though did hinder getting to work

Sis and spison like this.
  11. Archie's Mum

Oh goodie. Now a hailstorm and more torrential rain.....back to the garage with mop and sponge :mad:

12. Joanne

Joanne Well-Known Member

:( Mother nature not very nice sometimes. Stay dry

13. Archie's Mum

May have to immigrate to Qld if this keeps up

Sis, spison and Joanne like this.
  14. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

The hail up here was dreadful. Not that big,but lots of it and with a lot of force. Most of my shrubs have been stripped of all their leaves. My hubby says that it got to about 3 inches deep. I didn't venture outside to check.

15. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

How long do you expect to have this nasty weather?

16. spison

spison Well-Known Member

The two events were caused by different weather systems. Storms are common all year on the east coast. Major flooding can occur with all systems.

In summer the major storms are southerly changes (once called Southerly busters) caused by cold air from Antarctica crossing the hot land. They were once far more spectacular than they are now and at least they would cool you down.

In winter they are called East Coast Lows and they form over the ocean. This last one was described as 'a once in a decade' storm but it only occurred 8 years from the last 'once in a decade' storm. Prior to that the worst east coast low as far as destruction was concerned had occurred in 1974!

The storm last night was just a thunderstorm but was carrying huge amounts of hail (which we didn't get here).
    Jane

crazycatlady22, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

That hail, causes much more damage at times than wind or rain.

Sis and Archie's Mum like this.
  18. Archie's Mum

7 warehouses were flattened just across the highway from us, from the weight of the hailstones. The roofs collapsed in the middle and were built of corrugated steel. They weren't big stones but came down with such volume and lay on the ground in some parts near here half a metre deep.
    A discussion this morning between OH and myself about why on earth were these warehouses built with flat roofs and realised every warehouse now has a flat roof. They were never built that way before and those buildings dating back to early 20th century can withstand the weight simply because they have pitched roofs and built of hardier materials. (my thoughts anyway)
    It was a bit of a nightmare to some but even being so close we didn't have any damage but a flood in the garage...again.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  19. Archie's Mum

The last time was in 2007 and we had around $17000 worth of damage. Broken windows, dented cladding, broken roof tiles, water leakage in the house and tarpaulins on the roof for ages. And very wet feet.

20. Ma-dotcom

Cannot understand anything being flat roofed, even in summer hugely hot not airey (sort of) as in raftered buildings, & with rainor hail it has nowhere
    to go. Can't fill too many rain water tanks.

Archie's Mum and Joanne like this.