What to do with photos?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Sandra Parker, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

So before I hit the hay/sack, do you want it on FB also? The wedding group.
    Can attach with a 'possibly Heysham' query afore I leave if you like.

2. Sandra Parker

Sandra Parker Well-Known Member

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    If anyone can benefit from it, please put it anywhere. I would love the pic to have a home and more than happy to post the original to anyone who wants it.
    Sandra

3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Heysham Heritage Association has a web site http://www.
    heyshamheritage.org.uk/images_of_heysham.html
    and on that site it says "Facebook has a group, Morecambe and Heysham Past and Present with local images (and other places too!)"

Just thought I'd chip in :rolleyes:

I do like the look of Heysham fitting the bill for the photo - well found Wendy :)

Ann

Ma-dotcom and Sandra Parker like this.
  4. Ex Scout

Ex Scout New Member

I use facebook for the Glamorgan FH and also there's a Devon FB page..... seems to have taken over somewhat from other messaging forums. But i keep my photos on Dropbox when i want to share them with cousins and on an external cloud device plus my computer. But like lots of you have inherited millions of photos from family and quite a lot have images of people I don't know who. I really think that you have to be brutal and ditch some of them but it's difficult

Anne

5. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

Well done Wendy - a lovely piece of sleuthing:). It looks about 1945-50 to me, but I may be wrong.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Thanks Ann & Flook, I also thought 1950 maybe into 60.

Sandra, Have found FB page for the church but inoperative just now, sent message any way, then I popped into the St.Peters (with St. James) which is closed for roof restoration etc. lovely photo of Ladies any of which may have been married there-in: https://
    sites.google.com/site/parishofheysham/st-peter-s. will contact Rev'd & ask advice re- finding home for photo.
    You may have started a new hobby Sandra ;)

7. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

It's silly to make silly guesses about photos of which one knows nothing….but I notice there are no young people in the photo except for the lass with the bouquet next the bride. I'm going to guess that may be her daughter and therefore the bride's second marriage (the groom looks so worried that I wonder if it's his first!!)….

Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Silly guesses is what we all do at times Flook. You make a good point, depending on the year, hard to know what the younger people were involved in, She may have been a single child herself or not of the area. So hope we learn something of it all.
    Feelers out to 2 other groups re posting photo on their pages. (thanks again AnnB.

Flook likes this.
  9. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Yo Flook and Wendy.....you are just a tad too late I think....with the dating. And this is just an observation re clothing. Have a look at the shoes the women are wearing.....the two on the right and one to the left of the groom.

I am defo old enough to remember the 40's and 50's and no one wore that style that I remember.....perhaps late 30's or very early 40's. Trying to picture what my mother wore. Love the hats tho.....they are quite stylish and my sister wore that type in the 80's.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sandra Parker likes this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

I too was going by what I remembered Heather, but all depends on who had nosh to replenish wardrobes in updated style. My Mum wore similar shoes (ladies beside gents in dark suits) for as long as I knew her, Lady next to gent with cane, yes older style but, they're back too :)
    Must away to help fill a skip.

Figgs likes this.
  11. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

You are probably right Wendy. I have a vague memory of a picture of my mother with that type of full shoe on. And knowing her, it would be current. But no clue as to what year other than early 40's. She didn't like having her photo taken and she was beautiful.....I don't like them taken either, but don't look the least bit like her. She resembled Queen Elizabeth.....not sure who in heck I resemble (other than my father), lol.

12. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Re the lack of young people, couldn't it just be a "family" photo - you know the one, groom's parents and grand-parents to his right, bride's her left? Lass with the bouquet next to the bride would be the bridesmaid, but whether family or friend is anyone's guess. She does look like the bride though, doesn't she, so sister maybe?

On doing a recount of people there seems to be a strange number present so maybe I'm off the planet altogether here - wouldn't be unusual, let's face it.

And the shoes - my grandmother wore the lace-up type but my mother didn't. Mum was born in 1915, but I don't know if that's relevant or not.

Flook and Ma-dotcom like this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

Phillipa, I think my Mum favoured flatish lace-ups because she walked everywhere always & quite far at times.
    Looking at the 2 separate Ladies to right of photo (as we look) I keep thinking USA & that is heightened after Heathers post, & yet the dark hats remind me of I'm almost sure, one worn by a young Queen Elizabeth some years ago. Perhaps it was someone else on same pages as Her Majesty.
    Along with the two Gents in front of them,they seeme to be standing back from bridal party, maybe guest, not actual relatives...
    still wondering Wendy.

14. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Mum walked everywhere too, Wendy, as did almost everyone at that time. Her main footwear that I can remember from way back were court shoes with "sensible" heels.

Not many cars in the town when I was growing up apart from those owned by the doctors, the mayor, a couple of ministers various denominations and some commercials. There was no bus service and a taxi service (limited to one or two cars) arrived towards the end of my stay. Men and kids often rode pushbikes but almost all the women walked.

Re the hats - is this one very similar? Eleanor Roosevelt with the Queen Mum in US in 1939

hats.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Figgs likes this.
  15. Ma-dotcom

Pretty much Philippa, & I have found a few which also link to 1940. took a while to line them all up.

Hats 1940.PNG

16. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Good hunting, ladies. All I had to go on was my memory. I was born in 1938, so do remember what my mother wore in the early 40's......plus had the odd photo. I think you all are safe with that sort of window from 1935 to 1945. And '45 is perhaps a bit late. There is also the difference in how women dressed in Oz as compared to Canada and the US. Those shoes are so familiar to me tho.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

With photos of that sort of era you need to bear in mind the effect of the war. I think it's more or less impossible that a bride and bridesmaid would be wearing dresses like that while rationing was in force, and I understand that the Church of England informed women that contrary to all previous expectations, they would be allowed to attend church without wearing a hat.

This therefore suggests a non-rationing date for the photo, and as rationing ended in 1949 (according to Wikipedia), I would suggest either approx 1935-39 or 1950-55. Personally I think I'd go for the latter, but I can't be certain.

18. Ma-dotcom

It's a puzzle Arthur. The men's suits may have been with them for some time as men don't seem to shop as often as women. If one of the Ladies had owned a shop or had access to materials that would also mess with guesses. So many women sewed well as a matter of course, or perhaps an overseas visitor brought the material of gowns. The Lady behind the bride seems similarly dressed, perhaps Mother of the Bride?
    I do hope we learn something here. At least I've seen some beautiful old Churches.

19. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I think during the war (not that I remember, you understand ;)), even if someone had access to an old wedding dress or fancy hat, it would have been considered vulgar to wear it when so many people were struggling to make do and mend. Wikipedia suggests that some style of clothing would have even been illegal:
    so to wear anything very fancy, even if it was old, would have been to risk serious disapproval, if not worse.

20. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Arthur...you can knock out the dates in the 50's b/c I was in high school then and we wore saddle shoes and felt skirts with poodles on them. That pic is way older!! I would even go back as far as 1930's. I found some Oxford type shoes for that date.

We had rationing in Canada but I can only recall it being on food & fuel...not what we wore.