Capt William Mason and his wife Mary

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Londoner, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

This is a long standing brick wall which other family members have spent many hours at the National Archive and other Record offices trying to solve.
    The couple were married at St George in the East, 15 Sept 1825. Witnesses An Mason and L Bennett.
    we have identified, and know all that we need to about their children. William Daniel *(1828 -1874) Mary Ann (1830-1836), Edward Alfred (1832-1834), Susannan (1834-1835), Eliza (1835-1903), Thomas (1838-1921)
    In 1841 Mary and her three surviving children are at 41 Clark Street, Stepney. (HO107; Piece: 712; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Stepney; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 22; Folio: 16; Page: 25; Line: 1)
    In 1851 the family are at 10 Arbour St and Mary is a widow (HO107; Piece: 1552; Folio: 659; Page: 5; )
    Mary died 8 Sept 1857, age 57 according to the headstone in Abney Park which names her as the widow of Capt Mason.( in later years the family were strongly Methodist )
    We have checked the East India Company records with no success. My feeling is that Capt Mason sailed to the West Indies as their sons were associated with the firm of Scrutton and Sons who had ships going that way.
    In 1861 daughter Eliza is with her aunt Susannah Chipperfield (RG 9; Piece: 292; Folio: 129; Page: 13;)
    Mary and Susannah both give their place of birth as Epping.
    And that is where we are stuck. who was Capt William, who were the parents of Mary and Susannah and * as I think I have mentioned on a previous thread who was Anne Wright,the wife of William Daniel????

Blackmogs likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I''m tossing these in because 'St.Geo. in the East' did get a mention, but largely because of the transcription for Mary's parents & how we can be led astray ifnot able to see images. The other set was much clearer. note parents names.
    Mary Chipperfield.PNG
    Name: Ann Chipperfield
    Parents: Thomas Chipperfield + Mary Chipperfield
    Baptism: 8 Oct 1797 - St John the Baptist, Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England
    St.Geo. in the East
    Sarah Susan Chipperfield bapt 15th April 1803 born 31. Dec 1802 to Thomas a cordwainer & Elizabeth of John st.

3. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Londoner, I don't think the witness's name is Bennett, to me the name seems to end in ALL; I'd be interested to know what others think.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Agreed Moo, I thought it to be 'J. Verrall' but the first initial could a fancy anything,- T, almost a P or not quite an F.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Londoner

Thanks both.
    I have Everard and Ann as possible but no Susannah.
    Thomas and Mary less likely.
    Sarah Susannah ruled out because I found her Marriage.
    I will have another look at the witness, I did have a ? by it.

6. Londoner

Yes looking again it is Probably J Venall, he must have been clerk or sidesman as he witnesses several marriages. So not a help but thanks for looking.

7. Vatersay

Vatersay New Member

Hello there
    Obviously not your man, but did you find any other Captain William Mason, when you were searching? I am gathering information about a maritime disaster in 1853 in which the Captains name was, yes you've got it Captain William Mason ? http://www.anniejane.net/ if you have a look at this link. The odd thing is that even though there is a major inquiry in which he gives evidence and lots of newspaper articles it never once say Captain William Mason of such a place. I am struggling to find him.

regards

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Hello Vatersay and welcome to the forum :)

I had never heard of the Annie Jane. What a terrible disaster. :( Thank you for all the work you have done to make sure those who died aren't forgotten.

I see that in the 1853 inquiry into the loss of the Annie Jane, published in Parliamentary Papers, William Mason said he had been in the merchant service for 36 years and gave the number of his certificate as 51,385.

The National Archives ref. BT 124/12 ('Recorded Service 1851-1860. Certificate numbers 51000-54999') can be downloaded free as part of their Digital Microfilm project.

I did that and looked up number 51,385. Et voilà!

William Mason certificate no 51385.JPG

The first column is headed 'Name and Description', the following ten columns are for the years 1851 to 1860, and the final column is 'Remarks'.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Ma-dotcom and mugwortismy cat like this.
  9. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

His death was announced in the Liverpool Daily Post of 2 September 1857:

On the 8th July, at sea, on his passage from Moara to Singapore, aged 51, Captain Wiliam Mason, of the barque Alliance, of this port.​

Two years later his widow was granted letters of administration (with will annexed). This is from the 1859 National Probate Calendar:

Mason William
    23 September. Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the Personal estate and effects of William Mason late of Toxteth Park Liverpool in the County of Lancaster Master Mariner deceased who died 8 July 1857 on board the Ship "Alliance" at Sea were granted at Liverpool to Mary Anne Mason of 22 Upper Stanhope-street Toxteth Park aforesaid Widow the Relict and the Universal Legatee named in the Will she having first been sworn.
    Effects under £300.​

10. Londoner

Well found Jane. Shame he is not the one I am looking for but great for Vatersay.

11. Vatersay

Vatersay New Member

Thank you so much for that, how easy you made it look. I am a novice at research and it is a steep learning curve. I came across the Annie Jane memorial on a walking holiday ten years ago and although I live quite close geographically I had never heard of it, that bothered me and now I am trying to do something about that. Only problem is a lot of the passengers were poor Irish immigrants and they are proving impossible to find. However I am in it for the long haul and since I launched the web site, I have received a lot of help and information. Some day I hope to get some sort of information plaque on the site, with as many names as I can get.

Thanks again I will add that to the site tonight.

12. Carolina moon

Carolina moon New Member

I have only just come across an account of the loss of the Annie Jane. It turns out the captain, William Mason, was my 4x great grandfather and his son- in- law, William Anfield, my 3x great grandfather, was also one of the survivors. He was a baker before this accident and he must have been put off from going to sea after the shipwreck because he became a corn miller afterwards.
    I hate to think what conditions were like for most of the passengers on board ships at that time and I imagine most of the Irish were escaping the terrible Potato Famine.

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  13. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

There is a baptism at St. Mary the Virgin, Latton (which is part of Epping):-
    Mary daughter of Daniel and Judith CHIPPERFIELD was baptised December the 10th 1797

Also a baptism at St Mary and St. Clement, Clavering, Essex:-
    Susannah daughter of Daniel and Judith CHIPPERFIELD - born 10 January, baptised 20 April 1800

Do you think these could be your Mary and Susannah?

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  14. Londoner

Yes indeed!