Harry George Lester Card

Discussion in 'British Army' started by Frankie B, May 22, 2016.

1. Frankie B

Frankie B New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've been doing some research into the family, and i'm looking in particular for details of Great Uncle Harry

Harry was born in Alverstoke, Hants in 1886. Son of George Henry Card and Elizabeth Ellen Lester.

Harry was allegedly the black sheep of the family and rumor has it he was chucked out of the army. I cannot read all the notes but below is all I know,

He seems to start off as a warrant officer 2nd class 8639 in the West Ridgeway Regiment, the joins the 3rd battalion, Duke of Wellingtons as 2nd lieutenant. Harry died, aged 76 on 26 April 1962.

Anyone who could help I would be ecstatic!

Neil Card and GrannyBarb like this.
  2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

On another forum the poster has information that he was court-martialled as an accountant, in the army, for fraud. He was reinstated. The poster has his full record. I will enter his email address on the 'conversations' here.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Archie's Mum

I can only spy a distorted view of his medal card but I caught a glimpse of 'Gallipoli'. 2nd lieutenant was a temporary ranking, apparently.

4. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in Frankie, nice to see you here.C|:-)

5. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Welcome to TD Frankie.C|:-) Unfortunately I can't find any more that Archie's Mum has, but have run out of time.

6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Yorkshire Post 1st October 1920
    Serious charges were preferred against Lieut. H. G. Card, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, at a General Court-Martial, at York, yesterday. There were five charges in all, the first being that he deserted on March 22, in failing to report himself, and remained absent without leave until he surrendered to the military authorities at York, on August 10. was also charged with appropriating between January 30 and February 28 this year public money to the extent of £197, in his care as the officer holding “No. 1 imprest account” for the Junior Command School at Strensall and there was a similar charge respect to £1,890, between February 28 and March 22. There were alternative charges to the last two, of conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline having by negligence caused the loss of the sums named. Capt. Stott said Lieut. Card was for some time employed at the Junior Command School Stronsall, and had charge of the imprest account. On March 18 he was granted leave till March 21, but failed to report on the 22nd, and remained absent until August 10, when he surrendered. His books were examined, and the sums mentioned in the charge were found to deficient. The money was drawn from the bank personally by the accused……. Lieut. Card, giving evidence, said had been fifteen years in the Army, and had risen from the ranks, being given commission for gallantry in the field, he was wounded and shellshocked in France, he had a wife and three children. When he took over as assistant adjutant and quartermaster at the Junior School at Strensall, he signed for ammunition, and checking the stock afterwards found 20,000 rounds deficient. He did not report it, but endeavoured to make up the loss on empty cases and he actually made up 5,000 rounds of ammunition by that means. Shortage of ammunition was a serious against officer, and it preyed on his mind that he did not know what he did. Applying for leave, he went to London, and endeavoured to get employment, but failed. He did any odd job, and frequently slept on the Embankment. After five months he voluntarily surrendered at York. He had no idea there was a financial deficiency. He was a lifelong teetotaller, and did not gamble. His wife and family were comfortable, and there was no reason why he should touch the money. He could offer no explanation of the deficiency…..

The Court found the accused not guilty in respect the leaser charges of negligences. Decision in regard to the other charges will be promulgated in due course.

I've left some of the report out, but this gives you the general idea of Harry's misdemeanours. I haven't, as yet, found any other report of what happened "in due course".

PS Welcome to TD :)

Frankie B, Blackmogs, Chimp and 3 others like this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Ah Magoo! You've done it again. :D
    No doubt about you Ann ;)

Chimp, Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  8. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Newspaper sleuth has come to the rescue again!! Gees your good Ann:D

Chimp, AnnB and Ma-dotcom like this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

'tis why we Keep her eh?

Chimp, AnnB and Sis like this.
  10. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Hello C|:-) and welcome.

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Welcome Frankie B <|:)

I'll be keeping an eye on your Card posts, my mother was a Card, though my lot were all Essex born and I've tracked them back to 1767. Of course there are any number of Card ancestor siblings whom I know very little of, other than births/baptisms and some marriages.

If your research heads Essex way let me know, I might be able to help you.

12. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

I am Harrys grandson

Bay Horse, GrannyBarb and Ma-dotcom like this.
  13. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

I have HGLC full military records he remarried after finding out that my grandmother had a child with another man her fifth ,he remarried after a bigamous marriage as I know his second wife was a Parsons (first name escapes me at thie moment)They had a daughter Sheila A who married a G H Eariss they had a son Clive ,who is a photographer .I have tried to contact him but he has never responded

14. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

I have much more family tree wise

15. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

Any cards please contact me

16. Ma-dotcom

Welcome to you also Philip, Your news will be most welcome I'm sure for Frankie B.C|:-)

17. Findem

Findem The Fearless One. Rest in Peace.

Hi Philip and welcome.C|:-)

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, to date, all my Card families are Essex born, in fact Frankie and you are I believe the only Cards linked to counties outside of Essex I've had any sort of contact with.

I don't suppose you've found any of your cards link to Essex have you?

Regards.

18. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

So Harry could really be considered a Wild Card :rolleyes: sorry I absolutely could not resist that. I need to grow up.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Sis and 3 others like this.
  19. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

Join the club

Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.
  20. Philip Card

Philip Card New Member

Please contact me:
    saintphilc at hotmail dot com

(Email address munged to deter spammers)

Ma-dotcom and Blackmogs like this.