I am stuck trying to find a John Humphreys Jones married to Elizabeth ?

Discussion in 'Shropshire' started by Marianne, Apr 19, 2024.

1. Marianne

Marianne New Member

My Great, Great Grandfather, Thomas Devereux Jones was christened November 26th 1823 in Much Wenlock, Shropshire, he moved to Canada, then Ohio before returning to the UK with his wife Martha Morrow. They then came to NZ with his brother Frederick Jones and sister Mary Ann Jones married to Roger Evans. They had another brother John Humphreys Jones who moved to London and was an Architect & Surveyor. He married Caroline Perks. Another sister Elizabeth Amelia Jones, never married and lived in London and the youngest brother Henry William Jones born 1833 moved to Ohio where he joined the 41st Ohio Regiment in 1861. It is the father of Thomas that I am trying to find. John Humphreys Jones supposedly born in Arley Castle, Shropshire 1804 and was in Kniver where Frederick was baptized, and in Stourbridge. They were related to Sir Thomas Tyrfitt-Jones and Edward Wingfield Humphreys and Arthur Charles Humphreys-Owen. Supposedly 1st cousins to Edward and Arthur. Can anyone shed any light on John H Jones and his wife Elizabeth? I have emailed libraries in the area but had no success, plus Arley Castle and family with the name Jones on My Heritage. Tried other genealogy sites. Because I live in New Zealand I cannot get to Wales, England to hunt for this information.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Code:
    https://collection.canterburymuseum.com/objects/712866/macdonald-dictionary-record-thomas-devereux-jones
    The above CODE holds information of Thomas Devereaux Jones and is held at Canterbury Museum, New Zealand. It states that his father was John Jones nee (I think that reads nee) FREDERICK Jones and was born Stourbridge Worcestershire. I didnt read any further as the writing is hard to read.
    But you may already have this.

Marianne, Ma-dotcom and Chimp like this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I read it as:
    John Humphreys Jones of Shropshire (see Frederick Jones)

That indicates that there could be more in the records at Canterbury Museum about Frederick (John's brother) :)

4. Archie's Mum

Ah! Thank you. :)

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  5. Archie's Mum

There is an obituary for Frederic Jones MHR 8/9/1890 Star Newspaper Canterbury, Papers Past. Lots of family info. Also had a brother John Humphreys Jones of Dalston London. Frederic arrived in New Zealand on the Chariot of Fame with his brother Thomas. If his cousin Thomas Tyrwhitt changes his name to Jones, as noted in the obit, then it might be that John Snr was also born a Tyrwhitt. Although Tyrwhitt was a maternal name so perhaps not. Perhaps that might be Elizabeths maiden name!
    Tyrwhitt and Jones seem to be intermingled.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  6. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Not what you asked for, but interesting nonetheless :rolleyes: Apologies if you already know this.
    Worcestershire Chronicle 26th July 1861
    Jones v. Jones - ln the Court of Probate and Divorce, on Saturday, Mary Ann Jones prayed that her marriage with Thomas Devereux Jones might be dissolved by reason his bigamy, adultery, and desertion. Dr Deane and Dr Spinks appeared for the plaintiff, the respondent did not appear. The evidence was taken by commission in Canada, and was to the effect that the parties were married in January, 1849, and cohabited for a short time at Stourbridge. There was issue of the marriage one child, who died. The following year the respondent went to Canada, where he formed an acquaintance with, and subsequently married, Martha Morrough, by whom he had three children. The evidence as to identity and the second marriage was quite clear, and the Judge Ordinary granted a decree nisi.

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

The marriage record is:
    Registration District: Stourbridge
    Quarter: January - March
    Volume: 18
    Page: 511

It looks like her maiden name was Mary Ann WISE.

8. Archie's Mum

Ah ha. I saw that marriage. Then the cad got married to Martha :mad: I thought it was in New Zealand but I could be wrong.

Marianne, Daft Bat and AnnB like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Yes they married in New Zealand in 1869 Martha Morrow. NZBDM.
    Hang on.Mary Ann Wise wanted a divorce in 1861 because of bigamy but he didn’t marry Martha until 1869 so if that’s the case then he must have married another one as well.

Marianne and Daft Bat like this.
  10. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Thanks yes I have read this and it is where I got some of my info and Thomas’s probate/will talks about his brothers and sisters and mother but his father must have died before Thomas did.

11. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Yes I have read this - there was a brother with the same name as his father and he was the one who moved to London and married Caroline Perks.

Daft Bat likes this.
  12. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Thank you no I didn’t know this but he did marry Martha Morrow in Canada and then he remarried her here in NZ and had more children.

13. Marianne

Marianne New Member

He married Martha in Canada and in then again in New Zealand.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

Unless of course, he married Martha in Canada but the marriage was illegal so when the divorce of to Mary Ann came through he legally married Martha in New Zealand. That makes more sense.

15. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Due to the father’s name being Jones I think it is more likely that he is related by the fathers name but then how is Thomas and Frederick and siblings first cousins to Edward Wingfield Humphreys which is also the father and brothers middle name.

16. Archie's Mum

I think you need to set a rough diagram with all these names and work back. It might be easier to sort them out. You may be able to work out who belongs where. :headbang:

Marianne likes this.
  17. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Edward Wingfield Humphreys was the son of Erskine and Eliza (Johnes) who married 3 Nov 1835 at Berriew, Montgomery. So his mother must most likely be the connection to your family

Marianne and Archie's Mum like this.
  18. Londoner

Eliza was the younger daughter of Edward Johnes MD of Lower Garthmil

Marianne likes this.
  19. Londoner

but Eliza had apparently two unmarried sisters (Mary and Jane) and one ( Ann) who married Robert Griffiths Temple, so perhaps the connection is further back. Ancestry have a tree with Lloyd Family pedigree for her ancestor Thomas Jones of Garthmyl who married 1634

Marianne likes this.
  20. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Yes that is what I thought but I can find no evidence that Eliza’s father and mother had a John or an Elizabeth. That is why I am confused to the article of Frederick Jones death that stated that Edward was his first cousin.