Journalist - Henry Julian Kimbell

Discussion in 'Other Occupations & Trades' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 11, 2015.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

H.J. Kimbell [born 12 March 1888] was a Journalist in Boughton, Northants in 1911.
    In the 1920's and 1930's he was in London with the last notice in the 1938 London Elkctoral Register where he is living in Holborn.

In 1938 he was aged 50 so unlikely to have been in the Military but could have been a War Correspondent.

I have found a death Jun. 1975 in Kingston upon Thames for a Henry Julian Kimbell - vol. 13, page 1949. I am hoping that this is my chap.

How can I find out more on his career?

2. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Well I found an answer but it's in an article that is about quite a different career! From the Northampton Mercury of 15 August 1913:

MR. JULIAN KIMBELL
    ------------
    TO SING IN GRAND OPERA AT COVENT GARDEN
    -----------
    We understand that Mr. Julian Kimbell, of Boughton, Northampton, will sing in grand opera at Covent Garden in November, and later at Paris and Brussels and after that in New York.
    Among the operas in which he is cast are Faust, Joan of Arc, and Lohengrin. In Faust he is cast for the part of Siebel. This is a revolutionary proceeding in opera. By tradition the part of Siebel has always been taken by a woman. Why this has been so is a mystery, but tradition is strong, and doubtless custom will take a lot of breaking down. That Mr. Kimbell has been chosen to play such a part in the history of opera is a tribute to his ability.
    Mr. Kimbell, who comes of a family well known in the district, was for some time on the staff of the “Northampton Indepenedent [sic].” He studied music under Mr. C. J. King, Northampton, and obtaining scholarship went to London to continue study. His success there is manifested by his important appointment.

3. Huncamunca

There's lots more about him (as Julian Kimbell) in the newspapers. For example the Sunday Mirror of 20 February 1916 says
    'A very interesting man is this young baritone, who has had a most varied career, starting as a cartoonist and ending as a singer. While he was cartoonist to a big Midland paper in his very early youth he got a chance to take the place of the music critic. And he might have remained a critic to this day if Mr. Gervase Elwes, his neighbour at home, hadn't heard him humming.'​

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

You weren't joking, were you???:D

Had forgotten about FMP and the newspapers - 54 items apparently. Lunch calls.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Reading some of the articles - while eating lunch - makes me believe that the chap who died in Kingston upon Thames in 1975 isn't my chap.

6. Huncamunca

Why not? Do you think there's more than one Henry Julian Kimbell born about 1888?

7. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

Because I read the obituary article in the Northampton Mercury dated 6 April 1928. It named the 4 surviving sons of Peter Eaton Kimbell as:
    "Charles E. - Author of 'Solomon the Optimist'
    Raymond - of Durham a composer and organist
    Harold
    Julian - the well-known baritone and musical critic"

Found what I thought was Julian's death in 1932 - but wasn't so maybe I need to read a bit more of those newspapers

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  8. Huncamunca

I am utterly baffled Colin. I don't see how this means that Julian can't be the Henry Julian who died in 1975. I must be missing something. I had better stop trying to be helpful as I am just confusing things. Time for bed I think. :confused:

Mealymoo likes this.
  9. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Put us out of misery, Colin, I'm baffled too as to why your chap can't be the Henry Julian who died in 1975. :confused: :(

10. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

With all the newspaper articles ending with one in the 1950's I concentated on the earlier ones. I was readinga transcript of an obituary from the Northampton Mercury dated 8 January 1932 regarding the long musical car eer of a Mr. Kimbell and erroneously concluded that it was Julian.

Later when I read the actual paper article, it confirmed that the deceased was a a relation of Julian.

That'll teach me to jump to conclusions.

I'm still wading through the papers.

SandieHall and Joanne like this.
  11. Copsonic

Copsonic New Member

Was interested to read this thread about Henry Julian Kimbell. This is one of my relatives. The info I have is that he was born in 1888 and died on the 27 March 1975. He is buried in Boughton old Churchyard. He was the 5th son of 6 children of Peter Eaton Kimbell and Fanny Priscilla Tucker. I knew he was a singer and also a singing teacher. One of his brothers Ralph Raymond was ordained into the CofE later in life and was at Ledbury Parish Church up until he died in 1964. Have you any connection with the Kimbell family - I would be interested to hear from you.

Sis, The Artful Dodger and Chimp like this.
  12. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger R.I.P.

It is my wife's family rather than mine that is the connection - and even that is somewhat distant.

I can send you details in a private message later.

Sis likes this.