To be Archie, or not to be Archie; that is the question...

Discussion in 'Ask The Experts' started by thewillies, Sep 11, 2013.

1. thewillies

thewillies New Member

I wonder whether any one can give us some indication of a rough date for this photograph. We believe the man is Archie Banks, born in Edinburgh in 1826. He emigrated from Scotland to NZ in 1850, which we think is before portrait photography was really available to the masses. The back of the photo gives us no clues at all. Archie was a cooper. He died of consumption in New Zealand in 1871, aged 45 years. Therefore, our period of possibility is about 20 years, 1850-1870. Do the clothes and the style fit this period? If so, we can safely assume we have the right man. If not, then we have no idea who he is and we will gladly give him away, free to a good home! Catriona
    Archie Banks#2.jpg

2. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Our very own Cornish Maid

Sorry, I can't help ... but isn't he gorgeous!
    Shoes - is there a heel on there? According to a book I've got, the squarish toe indicates 1840s-1860s (although being a Scot he would wear them until they wore out!)
    Jane

thewillies likes this.
  3. thewillies

thewillies New Member

I guess he could have looked worse. If it is Archie, he came out of the slums of Edinburgh and married a lady's maid. Perhaps she cleaned him up, before she left him and took the money, the business and the children with her, that is. He died with virtually nothing, saying that his wife had got her due in their separation settlement! He does not look sick here though, as I expect he would if he had consumption.
    Catriona